Question MiFold

U

Unregistered

Saw that mi-fold is now out but saw posts from last year that belt positioning was too low. Did they fix it or is this one to stay away from?
Also, if using a mi-fold or any LBB, there needs to be a headrest in that position, right? Can it be an adjustable one that moves up to be tall enough (but is not a full, permanent headrest)? Seems like the advantage to mi-fold is fitting between other car seats, but middle seats tend to have only the adjustable types of headrests, so not sure if that's ok. Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The mifold still has belt fit issues. It's fantastic in some cars, really bad in others. The company says to pull the belt up manually, but that's not a great fix and it plain just doesn't work in a lot of situations because the belt was already where the belt was going to sit.

The headrest issue is simply one of support. If the child has support to the tops of their ears, they have whiplash protection. Whether that's from the height of the backseat alone, a non adjustable headrest, or an adjustable one, it's fine as long as something is there from the car to the tops of the ears (the same goes for adults so we don't get whiplash).

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Ok, thanks so much. I ordered before I saw the fit questions so will try it out. Definitely seems like it isn't the solution for my son to keep in his backpack in case he needs a ride home. Too bad. Thanks.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Here's CarseatBlog's review: http://carseatblog.com/38680/mifold-grab-and-go-booster-review-honey-they-shrunk-the-booster/

Some people have reported weird belt fit (as we mention there) but we didn't experience that ourselves. Since publishing the review, we have continued to test the fit on various kids in various cars and haven't had an issue with belt fit yet.

It's not a perfect solution, but frankly nothing is. If you need something small for your child to take to school, it might be worth a try. Otherwise I'd look at the BubbleBum.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The best fits I see in those pictures in the review are barely acceptable, not good. At least one of those is a fit I wouldn't want my child to ride with.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I actually thought the belt fits were quite good, and certainly within the range IIHS uses. Kecia has been doing most of the post-review testing, so I'll see if she can drop in later with her thoughts on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Within IIHS range is where I get Acceptable- they appear to be in the yellow acceptable range for lap belt fit to me, not the green range. But it may just be the photo angle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC