Question Britax or other convertible for tall, chubby baby?

U

Unregistered

Hello! I've read as much as I can on your blog and forum -- thanks for all of the great details and advice! I think I now need answers on a few specific questions.

I'm trying to find a convertible for our 4-month-old baby boy. He's at 90-95 percentile for weight and off the chart for height, so it's important to find something that will accommodate a kid who is likely to be big for his age (and is in cloth diapers too). I want to find something that will be long-lasting RF and then keep him FF until he's ready for a booster. It also needs to fit in our smallish car (Toyota Corolla or Chevy Prizm) without making the front passenger uncomfortable or blocking the driver's view. However, we won't need 3-across, so at least that's not an issue.

I know we need to look at stuff in-store, but that doesn't help me know how the seat will fit him in three or five years -- that's where you come in ;)

My initial plan was the Britax Boulevard CT with ARB. I like the safety features of this seat and its 18.5" harness height is the highest I've seen, which makes me think this seat will be long-lasting. However, I'm concerned about comments I've seen suggesting that kids grow out of Britaxes early (I'm guessing that's due to less legroom, narrower in the hip/shoulder area, or shorter crotch strap). However, most of these comments seem to be older, either in reference to a smaller model or from people who didn't know to adjust the crotch strap (which your blog explains how to do).

SO, my question about the Britax is this: How well does it actually fit a bigger kid? Is your older or larger toddler comfortable in it? Or do big/tall kids still outgrow it too early?

I'm also looking at the Clek Fllo, for its higher RF weight limit, and I've seen people say it has more legroom. But if its highest harness is only at 17", does it really fit bigger kids than the 18.5" Boulevard harness does? Also, how well is it likely to fit in my small car, somewhat but not fully reclined and with its ARB attached? And is the 2016 model, with its added padding, more comfortable for kids than it used to be?

I've also considered the Diono Rainier for the same reason (but nobody seems to rave about it), the Maxi-Cosi 85 (but people seem to say that it's tricky to use), and the Graco 4-Ever (which lacks a tether). Are either of these a better bet, or have I missed the perfect seat?

What convertible do you recommend, to keep a bigger boy RF and then FF for as long as possible, while still fitting well in a small car and being easy to use - Boulevard, Fllo, Rainier, Maxi-Cosi 85, 4-Ever, or something else? Thank you!!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello! I've read as much as I can on your blog and forum -- thanks for all of the great details and advice! I think I now need answers on a few specific questions.

I'm trying to find a convertible for our 4-month-old baby boy. He's at 90-95 percentile for weight and off the chart for height, so it's important to find something that will accommodate a kid who is likely to be big for his age (and is in cloth diapers too). I want to find something that will be long-lasting RF and then keep him FF until he's ready for a booster. It also needs to fit in our smallish car (Toyota Corolla or Chevy Prizm) without making the front passenger uncomfortable or blocking the driver's view. However, we won't need 3-across, so at least that's not an issue.

I know we need to look at stuff in-store, but that doesn't help me know how the seat will fit him in three or five years -- that's where you come in ;)

My initial plan was the Britax Boulevard CT with ARB. I like the safety features of this seat and its 18.5" harness height is the highest I've seen, which makes me think this seat will be long-lasting. However, I'm concerned about comments I've seen suggesting that kids grow out of Britaxes early (I'm guessing that's due to less legroom, narrower in the hip/shoulder area, or shorter crotch strap). However, most of these comments seem to be older, either in reference to a smaller model or from people who didn't know to adjust the crotch strap (which your blog explains how to do).

SO, my question about the Britax is this: How well does it actually fit a bigger kid? Is your older or larger toddler comfortable in it? Or do big/tall kids still outgrow it too early?

I'm also looking at the Clek Fllo, for its higher RF weight limit, and I've seen people say it has more legroom. But if its highest harness is only at 17", does it really fit bigger kids than the 18.5" Boulevard harness does? Also, how well is it likely to fit in my small car, somewhat but not fully reclined and with its ARB attached? And is the 2016 model, with its added padding, more comfortable for kids than it used to be?

I've also considered the Diono Rainier for the same reason (but nobody seems to rave about it), the Maxi-Cosi 85 (but people seem to say that it's tricky to use), and the Graco 4-Ever (which lacks a tether). Are either of these a better bet, or have I missed the perfect seat?

What convertible do you recommend, to keep a bigger boy RF and then FF for as long as possible, while still fitting well in a small car and being easy to use - Boulevard, Fllo, Rainier, Maxi-Cosi 85, 4-Ever, or something else? Thank you!!

Hello and welcome to car-seat.org!

The discussions about kids outgrowing Britaxes early are probably a reference to the older models, in which the headrest could not be fully extended when rear-facing. All the newer Britax seats allow this, so they are much better for rear-facing longevity.

I don't know much about the Fllo, so I will leave it to others to answer your questions on that. I think the Britax ClickTight convertibles would last longer FF by harness height, but the Fllo is very tall for rear-facing so I don't think you need to worry too much at this point. (Depending on your family's plans, your child may be in a combination seat at that point and the convertible passed down to a younger sibling). But if you are certain that you want this seat to last him until booster age, then the Britax Boulevard is your better bet.

Can you explain what you mean about the Graco 4ever lacking a tether? The Graco 4Ever definitely has a tether. Do you mean the ability to use the tether when rear-facing? If so, then the only seat you are considering that has that feature is the Diono, I believe. I know that the Britaxes no longer allow it and I don't think any of the others have ever allowed rear-facing tethering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

What is your rear facing goal? With a kiddo that size, if you want to rear face much past 2, I would be looking at something that really gets kids to 50 pounds, which none of the seats you listed generally do. (The Fllo and Rainier are generally outgrown by height first. My slightly larger than average size 4.5 year old with unremarkable proportions is 40 pounds and has outgrown the Fllo rear facing and is right at the height limit of the Rainier.)

My giant toddler is a 3rd kid in hand-me-down car seats that I'm sure he will outgrow within a year or so. When he gets closer to the limits, I'm planning to get him a Graco Extend2Fit. It's compact front to back, and really gets kids to 50 pounds, unless something better comes out in the meantime. There are also some Safety 1st seats that last that long (I think they all have EX in their name, or at least most of them do), but none are as compact as the Graco.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, Igenne. I hadn't really looked at the Extend2Fit, but it does look pretty great! I'll add it to my list.

Maybe somebody can help clear up this question for me: If I'm concerned about my kid outgrowing a seat by height first, as you say is likely to happen with a seat like the Fllo -- isn't the highest harness measurement the number I should be concerned about? Or am I understanding this wrong? The Extend2Fit looks good because its harness is listed at up to 18", which is higher than many 17" seats like the Fllo. But it's still not quite as high as the Boulevard's 18.5". Why would a kid last longer in the Extend2Fit than the Boulevard, if they tend to outgrow them by height? What is it that makes a seat really get a kid to 50 lb. RF? If it's not weight limit (since the Fllo says it goes up that high RF, but most kids outgrow it by height first), is it harness height, or legroom, or some other combination of factors?

Yes, I would love to get him RF to age 4 or so, if possible, but I can't figure out what it is about a seat that really makes this goal most likely.

Vinjari1990

I would personally stay away from the Britax clicktights. My son is also around the 90th for height and weight. We bought the Advocate Clicktight for my son when he was 6 months old and I regret it. The crotch strap is very short, my son is almost 2 and just does not seem super comfortable in it. Its in our secondary car now so he doesn't ride in it too often. My son is turning 2 the end of this month. We ended up buying the Chicco Nextfit and it fits my son SO much better. He is 35" tall (or just over) and in all 2t clothes and his legs are not in the least scrunched (not that that really matters) but I am so impressed with how well he fits in it. The crotch strap is much much better. I know it's not the longest lasting seat but I feel like it'll get our son to 3 rear facing and then perhaps another year front facing but in reality we'll probably buy a Frontier when he front faces and pass it down to a our next baby.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You need to look at rear facing internal seating height, not overall harness height, for rear facing capacity. :)

With a tall AND heavy child I would also consider the Extend2Fit (or if you have plenty of front to back room, one of the Safety 1st 50 lb rf seats.)

I had two Clicktight Boulevards, and purchased the ARB as soon as they were available. My girls both trend off charts for height, and 75-85%ish for weight (slim out versus height with age).

My experience: my older daughter was happy in her Boulevard until outgrown by weight at 40#. Luckily, the Extend2fit came out at that point, and she is happy RF still at 4y5m.

Younger daughter was miserable, crying that her legs hurt, at 35#, 2y8m, due to the short crotch strap. Her legs were chubbier than her sisters, which I guess made the difference in comfort. Britax replaced it with the regular boulevard (longer crotch strap, but won't last as long forward facing, great customer service) for our second car, and I bought an Extend2fit 3 in 1 for my car.

The Extend2fits are really nice seats, easy to install, and the girls love the cupholders. I wish they were out when we first needed convertibles, and we wouldn't have replaced several expensive seats.

U

Unregistered

Thank you all so much! I'm now looking at Graco Extend2Fit, thanks to your good recommendations. It does look pretty great! The Britax seats seem great in many ways, but I just kept hesitating on purchasing because I was nervous about fitting my kiddo's very pudgy legs and tall torso in there for long. Thanks for your advice.

As for the Extend2Fit, I have just two small questions. Regular or 3-in-1? It's nice to get a booster too, but for the extra $70-80 it costs over the standard version, I can get an actual booster later. Is this one worth it?

And what about the mesh on some of the seat colors? Is it good (maybe cooler?) or bad (holds crumbs or scratchy)?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There's a shape difference. So if you will need another seat next to it at some point the non 3 in 1 is likely better. The pull is supposed to be smoother on the 3 in 1; the mesh is nice from what I've seen. I wouldn't count on getting much time from the booster from what I've seen- more like time to choose and buy a longer lasting booster.

jacqui276

My son is off the growth charts for height and weight and always has been. He is currently 4.5yrs, 53lbs and 46" tall. I ended up getting a Radian RXT for him (would have gone with the Ranier had it been available back then). He made it to 2 1/2 years old before he outgrew the 45lbs weight limit tear facing and now his shoulders are even with the top harness slots so he has basically outgrown it forward facing. I love the seat though and despite it having less user friendly bells and whistles than some of the other high end car seats, I never had an issue installing it and it worked well for us.

I agree with one of the pp that you need to decide what your goals are for rfing. With DS being as big as he is, the 40lbs seats would not have gotten us I age 2, but the 50lbs seats (which didn't exist when I bought his seats) would have gotten us to almost age 4. Height wasn't an issue for us with rear facing with the RXT (although he outgrew our Scenera height-wise before age 1 rfing).
One of my good friends has a big baby as well who is currently 6 months old. I went car seat shopping with her and she ended up getting one of the britax click tight seats. The CT models have much higher harness height limits than the other models since it is based on the extension of the head rest, not the shell of the seat. She loves the choice that she made, although her baby is still pretty young. My only worry with it is the rear facing leg room potentially being an issue as he gets older.

The clek seats intrigue me but they seem so high up rear facing that I worried about it blocking my view and it would be harder to lift a toddler in and out of the seat. So for that reason and since it wouldn't likely get us any further ahead in a harness that our Radian, I never ventured to get one.

U

Unregistered

My Exend2Fit is coming tomorrow and I can't wait! Thanks to you all for helping me figure it out.

If anyone else has been reading this and wants one too: Target has a Cartwheel offer for 15% off of the Extend2Fit. The coupon expires tomorrow (10/15).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC