must remove headrest?

U

Unregistered

I was reading the manual for my daughter's Evenflo Comet. It specifically says ( and I don't remember reading this before) that the headrest IN FRONT of her seat 'MUST be in the lowest position possible'. I'm wondering why this is. My husband is 6' 2 1/2" and must have the headrest up, and even myself at 5' 5" need it up pretty high so that my head/neck is properly protected.
Also where on a carseat do I look for a manufacture date? Thanks, C.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I remember hearing somewhere why Evenflo wants the headrest down, but I can't remember why--sorry! I hope someone can chime in and tell us both.

You'll find the date of manufacture on the same sticker on the seat as the model number. There's no rhyme or reason as to where they stick it, so look on the sides, back and bottom to find it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Could it be that they just don't want the head to fly forward and hit metal bars in a crash? 32 inches of head excursion (the legal limit in a non-tethered seat) is going to have that head hitting the seatback in front of it in some smaller cars....

I top tethered my Apollo (same as comet) and disregarded that warning, personally, as I didn't want the front seat passenger to be at risk of a neck injury.

Do you have top tether anchors in your car? They can be added to most cars, and if you need part numbers, one of us can look them up for you so you can be for-armed when you call the dealer about having them installed :)

U

Unregistered

Hitting the headrest was all I could think of too however I can't see how one would hit the bars with the way the padding of the rest and seat stick out beyond them...maybe that is 'all' it is.
We do have the girls seats tethered (its me, C. with the Camry and now 'donated' Sienna :) feeling better about it too after reading crash test ratings!) and have ever since we installed them. That's one reason the Sienna is driving me buggy with the anchors here, but not there and the Comet not fitting anywhere there is an anchor!
I do think the Comet is on the way out tho...just a matter of time and having the garage sale to fund a new seat (most likely a Marathon at this point).
C.

D

derrickp

This is likely something I would contact the manufacturer about. Although like others have said the logical answer is so they do not hit the head rest/bars.

Derrick

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC