Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Car seat for moderate hypotonia/probable congenital myopathy

Hello!
    We currently have our just turned 2 year old in a Safety 1st Air protect + 70 ( I believe that is the model name, it is the older version but is not yet expired so we are still using it). He has moderate hypotonia, hyperlaxity of the joints and a probable diagnosis of congenital myopathy. We plan to keep him RF as long as possible. Right now he is only 24 lbs, so he has quite a long time to go before he reaches the weight limit on this seat - it will expire before he does reach the limit. We are planning to purchase a new seat for him within the next six months or so. We would like one that allows him to stay RF as long as possible, but that will also give him good support once he does have to turn FF as his condition is permanent. Does anyone have any advice? We were planning on purchasing him a Diono Rainier as our almost 4 year old is currently in this seat and we like it, but I am not sure if that is the best option for him? I specifically worry about how the Diono Rainier does not recline much FF, and wonder if he will fight head slump much worse because of his hypotonia.

Thanks!
    Misty

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Car seat for moderate hypotonia/probable congenital myopathy

Hi!

In his case, because of the hyperlaxity, I'd go with the Graco Extend2Fit most likely, for extra leg room, if it's suitable fit wise otherwise.

Once he's nearing outgrowing that, it may or may not work forward facing, but if it doesn't I'd explore special needs seats furnished by insurance with your team.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!