Which configuration would you choose?

griffinej5

My mom just got a new car yesterday, so it's time to reconfigure the seats in her car.
The current passengers are
3, approx 26 lbs, RF
5, approx 42 lbs, can be RF or FF (was RF In my mom's old car, FF in some others).

Seats I'm working with graco clone, and an extend2fit. We have a MyRide, but it won't help. In order to puzzle the two seats together, the side on the clone that goes against the extend 2 fit must be the side without the cupholder. The side without the cupholder would make the extend to fit be on the passenger side. The top of the passenger seat sticks out a bit, so it would have to be moved up quite a bit to make the configuration work. I'm not sure how much, but there is often someone there. We're a mostly short legged family, so comfort isn't a huge deal but front passenger safety is an issue. My mom rides with her seat pretty far up, so there's lots of room for a RF seat behind her.
So, I can do both seats RF, But the e2f must be in the middle. I can do 1 seat FF, probably the clone, in the center, which would put the RF seat behind the driver (I think,if I'm thinking this through right).
The 3yo rides in the car more often. If it were my car, and I went with one FF, I'd put the 5yo in the RF seat at times she was the only one in the car. I don't know if my mom will mess around with doing that.
Right now, I put them both RF, so the 5yo takes the middle seat. If I leave that configuration, the 3yo can go center if she's the only one there (more likely to occur because her mom would often be there).
I can also put the 5 yo outboard FF on whichever side puts her cupholder toward the door and the 3 yo center.
I was thinking the option that puts them both RF is the best one, but in my head it goes against the least protected child in the most protected spot idea. I'm sure I'm aware I'm totally and completely overthinking this, and should just leave them as is.
If they wouldn't mind doing me the favor of making the models at certain stores have cupholders on one side, and others on the other, it would really help people puzzle the seats better.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The difference in safety of a 3 vs 5 year old rf is so small I wouldn't even think about that. Put them where they fit.

That said if ff the 5 year old leads to increased safety for front passengers I wouldn't hesitate over that either- assuming there's a tether anchor.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC