Question Which seat for a Narrow 3rd row FF Install in 07 Saturn Relay

Widget

We have an older van (07 Saturn Relay, basically a Pontiac Montana or a Chevy Uplander), which only has 3 FF tether locations (middle row captains chairs and 3rd row centre).
I cannot get my Safety 1st Complete Air installed in the 3rd row because the tether is in the middle seat with the seat belt coming off the seat, and the space between the belt and the buckle is much too narrow.
So, it's almost time for a new seat anyway, so what should I look for?
My son is lean, 6.5 years old, just 40 lbs, and only 44" tall, at the top spot for the straps, and his sister is of similar build but 4 years younger.
I was contemplating a Britax Frontier because of the ease of install, but haven't tried it in the back (nor have I found it onsale when I have the funds to buy it!)
Any suggestions for a good seat for him that would work in this spot (and in his usual captian's chair)?
We are in Canada. Thanks.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At his age, since he's 40 lbs, I would consider buying a booster instead. Unless he yoyos under right now? Then I'd probably get a frontier just for the height and easy install and pass down in a year or so.

Does anyone else ride in the van?

Widget

Riding in van:
2.5 year old (24 lbs, short) RF in Safety 1st Complete Air - 2nd Row Driver side.
6.5 year old (40 lbs, 44") FF in Safety 1st Complete Air - 2nd Row Passenger side.
Want option to put 6.5 year old in same spot, or in 3rd row middle or outboard position (in case we need adult to ride in Captain chair in 2nd row, or to remove that seat for ease of access in the winter) ==> this is the seat I need.
Want option to put carpool 6.5 year old (60 lbs, 55" tall) in 3rd row, outboard or middle, likely in a HBB as he exceed most harness booster options. ==>this is another seat I'm likely to purchase.
Concerned that my headrests may interfere with HBB in outboard positions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would definitely go booster if the child is of typical maturity and you'll be moving it sometimes.

You can remove the head restraints in most cars behind most boosters if they interfere. Do you have a max budget?

Widget

We put the carpool 6.5 year old (60 lbs, 55" tall) in 3rd row, outboard in a Britax Parkway HBB (which requires the vehicles' headrest).
We have our 6.5 year old (40 lbs, 45") FF in the 2nd row captain chair still in the SF CA 65. We've tried to use an Alpha Omega 3 in One All Terrain (narrower than the SF) in the centre of the 3rd row but can't get a proper install (the 3rd row seat back is WAY TOO straight). Our 6.5 year old still needs to be harnessed. After letting him ride in the HBB a few times, he doesn't fit (legs too short) and he's too squirmy.

We really want both kids in the 3rd row to free up the 2nd row captain's chair...
a) Would a Radian100 be narrow enough for such a difficult, narrow 3rd row middle AND b) would the Britax HBB fit beside it?
c) Is it okay that it's so difficult to reach where the HBB seat belt buckle goes? An adult needs two hands to get it buckled and unbuckled with the seats side-by-side.

Still love the idea of Britax Frontier for belt install, but don't think it's narrow enough.

No limit on Budget.

Widget

I've successfully installed an Evenflo Sureride65 in the middle seat of the third/back row!!
I've tried my HBB -Diono cambria outboard on passenger side. With the back on, the wing gets slightly tucked in behind the side of the Sureride. Is this ok?
3f2684db3374612b264bb3707cc3e330.jpg

7d394510284797ff8de2dac9722f18e8.jpg

I think it would be fine without the back as a LBB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

The Cambria is super wide. It looks like there is very little room to buckle, back on or not, right? I would look at the Harmony Dreamtime (high back) and the Harmony Youth Booster (backless) to use there. This is assuming you don't have any other narrower boosters you want to try.

Widget

Thank you. The Cambrian is gigantic and impossible to get buckled easily beside anyone or anything!. I'll try the harmony dreamtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC