Kids killed in car crash on the way to visit Dad injured in Iraq

ADS

ZephyrBlue

That's horrible. I can't imagine the pain those childrens' mother and father are going through. The guilt she must feel has got to be unbearable :(

Morganthe

2 kids without even seatbelts on and the youngest in a carseat. Why do I have the horrible feeling that the carseat was probably not installed correctly or the harness was much too loose? :( :(

That is just one of the horriblest things I've heard about in a long time. I feel so sorry for the family, especially those poor children. :(

scatterbunny

I feel the worst for the poor father. :( The mother made the judgment call to let her kids ride without seatbelts, and she's paying for that in guilt, hopefully. :mad:

southpawboston

it's not just a judgment call about carseats, but now knowing how to keep control of the vehicle.

Authorities said Lisa Johnson overcorrected the steering in her sport utility vehicle when she encountered a gust of wind on the drive from El Paso, and the vehicle rolled at least four times.

i hear this type of story all too often about SUVs. :(

mykidsmylife

This family is from my base. It is so sad. B/c they were an Army family the onfo wasnt even released until a week after the crash. I didnt think they were going to put the info about the kids are if they were restrained or not. I have been wondering bout that.
So many people here have donated money to this family. If I see her around I will tell her how sorry I am; but I hope this is a lesson learned for her,
Seeing how people are here, I hihgly doubt her 2 yr olds xcar seat was installed properly, which is sad. She could still most likely have her children.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Jordynsmama

Wow.:( But not even having your children wear a seatbelt in a moving car is huge huge negligence. it is so simple. And to neglect that when cars are so dangerous, is just horrible.
And yes if the other 2 werent even wearing seatbelts I doubt the baby was restrained correctly or effectively.
It is so sad it didnt have to happen. To lose all 3 kids and know it was most likely preventable and your fault. Ugh. the poor dad.

wondering1

Wow...and this too...

Johnson, who is stationed at Fort Bliss, survived five brushes with improvised explosive device blasts during two years in Iraq, Schmidt said last month. The latest caused a traumatic brain injury and he speaks with a severe stutter.

:(

heathernick06

I can't even imagine what that poor guy must be going through. He survived being blown up in Iraq, but then lost all of his children because they weren't restrained properly. So sad :crying:

southpawboston

I can't even imagine what that poor guy must be going through. He survived being blown up in Iraq, but then lost all of his children because they weren't restrained properly. So sad :crying:

we don't know that *all* weren't restrained properly, two of them for sure weren't restrained at all. it would be pure speculation to say the one in the carseat was improperly restrained. just trying to keep the facts straight.

heathernick06

we don't know that *all* weren't restrained properly, two of them for sure weren't restrained at all. it would be pure speculation to say the one in the carseat was improperly restrained. just trying to keep the facts straight.

I agree, I should have worded that better. All his children were killed, and at least two deaths may have been prevented.

3acorns4Christy

I've been following this story since it broke on our local news, he was at the hospital here. I have cried many times over because I cannot imagine the pain they are going through.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC