Hmmm

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I wasn't sure what the "right" answer would be when my 10 year old stepson asked me whether or not it would be safer for his younger sister {not my toddler} to sit in the front instead of him....

He's 10 years old & 130+ pounds, almost 5 feet tall. My stepdaughter is 50+ pounds & not much shorter. She's turning 7 just in time for the new law that mandates only kids younger than 7 sit in the back. She rides in a Husky behind me in my '99 Chevy Blazer; he sits in the front passenger seat with my toddler RF in a Wizard behind him.

I have him lock the belt in place, but have to remind him not to lean out of it to mess with the radio or turn around to talk with his sister. Comparing his sitting height to his sister while in the Husky, the top of their heads are the same distance away from the top of the vehicle head rest.

He got me thinking that if she were in front the harness would keep her from turning around like he does {I think I could hook up the top tether to the bar under the back seat, the bar next to the one I use for my toddler's seat} & she might actually be less likely than he to be injured by the airbag...?

Of course, if she were in a regular booster he would be safer up front, but given their sitting height similarity with her in the 5-point harness, is he right that she's safer up front???

ADS

trishlynne

I don't think you can tether the seat to anything but an "approved tether anchor", right? Some cars will let you use the latch plate of the seat behind AS a tether (my Villager does, when using the 3rd row seat as the 2nd row seat).

But, I do think I've heard that if you have to have a kid in the front, the safest is the oldest harnessed child (assuming this is FF).

I'm NOT a tech though.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The back seat is safer for everyone. If someone asbolutely must ride in the front, it should be the oldest, properly restrained passenger. ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The vehicle manual says I can tether to the bars under the back seat ;)

I've had big bro sitting in the front for over a year now because sis was in a backless booster before & I knew he should not be using the lap-only belt.

The dealer says they can't install another tether anchor behind the rear-center position for an E-Z-On harness & the manual says I must not install car seats there, so one of them has to sit in the front.

I was concerned because big bro {being 130+ pounds} is not in a harness or booster seat & I've been having a hard time keeping him still in the seat ~ during a short 15 minute drive I had to remind him not to twist his way out of the locked shoulder belt at least a half dozen times!

Sis & bro are the same sitting height when she's in her Husky & I was thinking the harness would keep her from moving around like he does.... This is probably one of those personal choices? I really do think she's more properly restrained than he since he just refuses to sit still even after pulling over to talk, etc.

I wish neither one had to sit in the front, but they ride with me at least once a month {might be more than once a week soon, too} & I have another 12-18 months worth of paying off this vehicle before I can trade it in for a Sienna

GRUMBLE-MUMBLE-N-MOAN

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gameboy? I know it would suck to get have a gameboy between him and the airbag, but it's better than him leaning sideways all the time and the airbag hitting him while out of position! (loook...loooook at the screen...silence, you must sit motionless but for your thumbs, absorbed in the screen.... LOL!)
Ugh, I hear ya...grumble n moan... GM needs a big ol' whipping for making that middle seat useless...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
joolsplus2 said:
GM needs a big ol' whipping for making that middle seat useless...
No kidding! Wish I'd thought to read through the manual before I bought it :eek:

Gameboy got me thinking ~ he's got at least one at home, but apparently not much interest in it ... he's having trouble reading at school, so I was thinking maybe a LeapFrog thing? We dont' have TV, but I thought I'd seen a commercial at my mom's house for a hand-held version for older kids???

I was also thinking that maybe he asked if he'd be "safer" in the back simply because then he'd be more out of my sight & "free" to move around however he wants!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL...yeah, safer from getting in trouble!
Ooh, yeah, love our leapster...I know the "Incredibles" cartridge is aimed at 3-5 th graders (I have way more fun with that game than my kids do)...but you may have to end up buying two! Your dd will definitely want one and "only your big bro can play with it in the front seat" might be torture for her, hehehe.

I dunno, I'm sure there's all kinds of ways to bribe...er...convince.. him to sit still.

So...when's that new van on the horizon? <wink>.

It took me awhile to get used to the idea of a DVD being a good thing, but man, for boostered kids, it is AWESOME...they just sit there staring straight ahead in perfect position, zoned out like zombies (it's a good time to pop in leapfrog and spanish tutoring dvds, while I have their complete attention)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, I thought I might be able to trade in before Xmas of next year, but I didn't qualify for financial aid & my toddler is SOOOOO ready for nursery school {& I'm ready to have my office back to myself, LOL} which means I'm paying the total amount out of pocket & of course she can't give up her gymastics, swimming & cello lessons either ... so the van will have to wait at LEAST until next summer {the one following this coming summer} :( Actually, I have a feeling that it will take until she graduates Kindergarten ~ a nicely timed gift for the both of us {LOL}

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC