Question Buying an E2F vs combination seat for a 3.5 year old?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
First of all, I should explain that I have enough convertibles to keep my 3.5 year old (currently about 30-32 lbs) RF until at least 4 in all cars.

The question is, once my baby is done with the Aton 2, do I buy an E2F 3-in-1 for my 3.5 year old in case she (or, eventually, her younger sister) wants to keep RF past 40 lbs? Or do I just make do with using our back-up convertible (Scenara NEXT) with my baby until my older one reaches 4 and then invest in a combination seat?

I should mention that I generally do not like convertibles as FF seats -- they seem too high up and awkward. At least this is true for all our convertibles.

If you would lean toward waiting until she turns 4 and getting a combination seat, what suggestions do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

cookie123

Your kids are on the smaller side, right? I'd guess 40 lbs would be enough. I actually bought a ProRide for Matthew to ff in a long time ago, so he could see out. At the time I think the harness height was adequate enough to last awhile ffing. I don't recall what he was using but I do recall he stopped rfing about 3.5. Depending on what vehicle you're driving, a higher base can be an asset in the seeing out dept.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh interesting! I never think about the kid's perspective when it comes to seeing out the window -- only my own perspective as far as loading. I suppose a convertible or something else with a high base might be a good option for FF from that perspective. I just figured it would be harder to get into on their own.

Yeah, my kids are relatively petite. I feel like 40 lbs is enough. I think the big thing is that I like so many of the features of the E2F.....it seems like a fun seat to own if only for the "what if you were still RF?" experiments as they get older.

Mary_Ann

Oh interesting! I never think about the kid's perspective when it comes to seeing out the window -- only my own perspective as far as loading. I suppose a convertible or something else with a high base might be a good option for FF from that perspective. I just figured it would be harder to get into on their own.

Yeah, my kids are relatively petite. I feel like 40 lbs is enough. I think the big thing is that I like so many of the features of the E2F.....it seems like a fun seat to own if only for the "what if you were still RF?" experiments as they get older.

I only have convertible seats and I don't see a need for a combination seat in my situation and either in yours.

Loading a FF child is a pain. It's easier in a low profile seat like a Radian. As Cookie said, all my 3 kids LOVE seeing out of the window (the Foonf is a favorite!).

I would keep the money aside for a really nice hbb for G in a couple years.

(I know that itch for getting a new seat ;))

Hazelandlucy

My 4.9 yr old just hit 40 lbs and she is a solid kid that is 50 -60% in height. If your 3.5 yr old is 32 lbs there is really no reason at all to get a seat now in anticipation of her wanting to rear face at 5 or 6. If you want to try out the E2F I would sell another seat - the legroom is really good, I am looking for a new convertible after an accident and compared them all!

oakster

Agreed--my almost five-year-old son is still not close to 40 pounds so if your seats are tall enough that they'll be outgrown by weight rather than height, I'd probably wait and see what you want if/when that time comes. You'll likely be fine with what you have now for rear-facing, and possibly for forward-facing too. I will say that we got a combination seat because we were handing our convertible down, and my son much prefers it at this point. The sides are lower and it's easier for him to get in and out of and he claims the straps are more comfortable (though they don't actually look all that different to me!) It's only slightly lower than his convertible so he can see easily out of either, although we also have a compact car vs. an SUV that might have higher windows. (We have a Frontier now; he was in a Marathon G3 before.) He does still fit fine in the Marathon, though, and if we hadn't needed to use it for another child, could easily have used that to booster age.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So she threw up in her Nextfit on the way to preschool this morning. Thought she might be sick but it became clear that she was just carsick. I am not surprised -- I think it is too enclosed for her. Every other time she's ever thrown up (at least since she outgrew the spit-up stage) it has been in the Nextfit. She's been saying that she doesn't like it too.

So I think I might try to sell the Nextfit. I will check out the e2f and see if it looks/feels too enclosed. If it seems like a good fit for her I think I will get it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC