Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Graco Contender Questions

My beloved Sunshine Radian has finally expired.😭😭😭 My daughter just turned 3, is 27.5# and is 36.5inches standing height. She is currently RF in a NEXT. I need another convertible to accommodate my 2yo RF nephew when I babysit him, a comfy seat & easy to clean seat to get my daughter to kindergarten & one that is great for flying. I narrowed the field down to a Contender.

1. What is the RF height that the Contender will accommodate? All I can find is "1 inch under the red handle.
    2. Does the Contender fit well RF behind the driver? My husband is tall & needs/wants the seat back. I don't want the RF/FF battle to commence. I would like to keep her RF through the winter.
    3. Does the Contender fit RF on the plus 1 seat of a 2011 Odyssey making question #2 not an issue?
    4. Does the Contender & NEXT fit next to each other RF in a 2011 8 passenger Odyssey 2nd row?

Appreciative,
    Mamabear of 4 making her last car seat purchase ever😳
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Graco Contender Questions

1. 1" below the handle. 40 pounds will be hit first.

2. It should in an Ody.

3. It should also fit in the middle.

4. You shouldn't have an issue with a Next and Contender next to one another.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic

The Contender doesn't have a standing height limit, and has a very tall shell. It basically gets everyone to 40 pounds.

What vehicle do you want to put it in? An Odyssey? I haven't tried it specifically, but I suspect it would work.

I've read that it does not fit in the 2011+ Odyssey +1. The Scenera NEXT works great there, though.

I can't imagine that those two seats would be a problem side by side with the captain's chair in wide mode, maybe even in narrow mode.

You might want to consider a Graco Extend2Fit. It occasionally goes on sale as low as $120, can be extremely compact, and works great in the +1.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks for the replies! As I was shopping around online I noticed some are claiming this year's clips are "new & improved". Should I get a 2016 one or would I be happy with last year's model too?
    Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

CPS Fanatic

Do you mean the chest clip?

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    Do you mean the chest clip?
    Yes
    Posted via Mobile Device

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

The new ones are a little stiffer for kids to not be able to unbuckle as easily. That's the main difference.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785