Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Head height and head rests with backless boosters

I thought of a new question about backless boosters. In our truck the Turbobooster puts dd's ears slightly above the head rest. The headrests in the Silverado crew cab do not go up very high and they don't lock in place.

This is not an issue in my Odyssey, head rests go up plenty and stay put.

Does this mean that I should take her out of it? Or get the Incognito so she sits lower?

If I were to ride in the back seat of the truck my head would be above the head rest.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Head height and head rests with backless boosters

If she fits in the belt (passes the 5-step test) without a booster that's fine. Otherwise if the Incognito works that will give some time.

When you say they don't lock what do you mean?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

You know how headrests usually click as you pull them higher and then you have a button to press to make them go back down? The truck goes up two clicks but if you press on the head rest at all it just falls back down. I didn't like that feature when we first bought it.

She doesn't quite pass the 5 step test in the truck, she's very close.
    Last edited by kiloyd; 09-05-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Hmm. You might want to check with the dealership to see if it's supposed to do that.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

7. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I will check with the dealer.

But what is the rule about headrest height for backless boosters?

I don't like vehicles that don't have headrests, I know they are there to help prevent whiplash.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

CPS Fanatic

My understanding is the vehicle head rest must be at least as high as the top of the child's ears. We've used the incognito a lot and I recommend it. It's boring looking with no features, but it's perfect once your child is too tall for the higher boosters to work and I'm very thankful for its existence.

No one should ride without head rests. I suffered whip lash even with an older head rest and it's incredibly painful. Without a head rest ... can't even think about it.

HTH

10. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    My understanding is the vehicle head rest must be at least as high as the top of the child's ears. We've used the incognito a lot and I recommend it. It's boring looking with no features, but it's perfect once your child is too tall for the higher boosters to work and I'm very thankful for its existence.

No one should ride without head rests. I suffered whip lash even with an older head rest and it's incredibly painful. Without a head rest ... can't even think about it.

HTH
    Thank you. I was just looking at some pictures I took of her last week and the head rest is at the bottom of her ears.

Looks like it's time for an Incognito!

If it weren't for a few 5 hr trips coming up I'd just let her go without a seat as she is only in the truck for the 2 miles dh takes her to school and half of that is neighborhood. Another seat just for maybe 6 months, but she is worth much much much more than $20!
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF