Question Talking to 10-12 year olds about belt fit

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have been asked by the health teacher at my school to talk to the 5th and 6th graders about passenger safety. I thought I should talk to them about the 5 step test and how to see if the seatbelt is fitting them properly and what to do if it isn't. Does anyone have good resources for this kind of discussion with this age group? Would it be weird to specifically mention the Incognito as an option? It's not like I'm on Dorel's payroll or anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would recommend looking at the Twinkie Physics info. We also do this kind of talk with Boosters Are For Big Kids (aimed more at younger kids but we do talk to 5th graders as part of it) and bring a paper skeleton. We talk about why the belt needs to fit (prevent injury to the internal organs) and that a booster lets your bones do their job to protect the organs. With the older kids we also emphasize everyone buckling up, never riding when anyone is unbuckled or there aren't enough belts.

I wouldn't mention specific boosters by name but you could bring a few that fit older bigger kids (Incognito, Little Tikes) as demo. I would send info on boosters and where to buy and the 5-Step Test for parents.

Will you actually be testing kids in cars?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Will you actually be testing kids in cars?

No. This will just be a 10-15 min presentation in their health class.

I like the idea of the Twinkie demo, and I was thinking of maybe doing a slideshow of seatbelt do's and don't's.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok then I would definitely send a test form home (give to teachers for distribution.)

We teach the kids the 5 steps they need to know and have them repeat them back with us.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would recommend looking at the Twinkie Physics info.

So I thought I had seen a demonstration of this somewhere, but when I googled it I didn't really find any explanation of how to do the demo. Do you just use a looped shoelace to cut a Twinkie in half?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You use a Halloween skeleton (It's the perfect time to buy them) and put a (wrapped) twinkie in. Then you show what happens if the belt is over the "strong bones"- or over the "squishy organs." (smush!)

The pdf that's the first link when you Google has more scripting.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I did the Twinkie Physics at a public safety day in the spring. Huge hit with my (then) 10 year old! It was also VERY eye opening to many of the parents of older (but still booster age) kiddos. They totally 'got' it.

Right now is a great time to buy the skeletons! I got mine at Walmart I think. Make sure it's one with a hollow rib cage (some are solid, can't fit the twinkie up in there).

And I used the narrow, ribbed ribbon that comes on a roll for about $.50 at the craft store (ACMoore or Michaels). It looks like a seat belt! I kept the 'lap belt' extra long, tied in a knot and would just grab the back and tug to simulate the crash while the skeleton was sitting (with assistance) on the side of the table.

It seems like there's some issue with the Washington State buckle up website, that hosts the Twinkie Physics card. Give it a day or two.

ETA: I can make a short video and upload it. I'll try to remember to do that later when I get home from work.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I did the first health class this morning. They asked such great questions! Lunch right now and then two more classes this afternoon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC