UK booster has to be better?

Hazelandlucy

I always get taken by the European seats - was so desperate for a convertible with a load leg. I have a brother in law coming over in a week, which always gets my wheels spinning.

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/kidfix-ii-xp-sict/

Here is the bit about the secure guard http://www.britax.co.uk/safety-expertise/technology-and-innovation/secureguard/

That booster looks so much more advanced than any booster out here. I just can't believe that the secure guard clip and the XP pad are not going to help. Plus rigid latch and the side impact bolsters. It comes in a ton of colors.

Is there any reason (not legally speaking) to not get this booster? Will it be incompatible with american cars in a way I am missing? I can send it back with BIL if it doesn't work. Worth a try??

ADS

creideamh

It does well in ADAC testing, but so do many other European HBBs so I'm not sure the extras make all that much of a difference.
But no, legalities aside, it should work in your car just fine. DD uses a German Recaro HBB. If I was in the market for another EU seat, I'd try it out. The Kidfix line comes in both rigid and soft LATCH, so make sure you buy the right one.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, there are various US boosters that have most of those features. Some have rigid LATCH; a couple have rigid LATCH and side bolsters (Cybex, nuna); some have bolsters, LATCH (not rigid) and SG clip available (Pinnacle used as a booster); the SG and LATCH (not rigid) is available on the Parkway and Frontier, too.

Any of those things might improve performance, or they might not, really. Some might be more important than others.

A reason not to get one (besides legalities) is that there are plenty of fantastic US boosters that, once you add in shipping or baggage fees, are probably significantly less expensive. So basically: I'm not sure it's worth it.

_juune

That booster looks so much more advanced than any booster out here. I just can't believe that the secure guard clip and the XP pad are not going to help. Plus rigid latch and the side impact bolsters. It comes in a ton of colors.

Is there any reason (not legally speaking) to not get this booster? Will it be incompatible with american cars in a way I am missing? I can send it back with BIL if it doesn't work. Worth a try??

As for the X-pad -- I tried my daughter in the seat and it took like 10 seconds until the "moooom that thing is bothering me"; also I do have heard from at least one mom that the seatbelt tends to end up in twists within the pad. The seat itself is super huge and bulky [and rigid], didn't fit my car at all, there was a gap so huge between the seat and car's seat's backrest that I could put my whole arm in there [this is obviously car specific, mine is Volvo S60].
EuroNcap has recently started testing using Q6 and Q10 and they use a HBB for the Q6 which is often a Britax; of course, as the results are from different cars , it's kinda apples to oranges comparison, but results for the chest are all over the place regardless if there's the X pad or not [EuroNCap results are here, results with the Q6&Q10 are only since 2016]. Could it be that the particular car and what technology [curtain airbags, pre-tensioners, load-limiters ...] it has to offer matters more than the booster seat? [Added: what I meant is that it might not matter if it's one HBB or another; just realized it might be misundersttod as booster vs. no booster at all, which is totally not what I meant :p ]
[Can you tell I'm not a fan of the XPad thing, LOL? :eek: ]
Added: when used with isofix it's a semi-universal seat so the supplied car list should be consulted for compatibility [says so in the manual]. I have to say though that it's a bit weird with the "semi-universal" seats and car lists because manufacturers say different things, i.e. Britax seems to be pretty strict with their seats the the car must be on the list but others when queried about their seats have answered something like "just try and see if it fits" :|

The Kidfix line comes in both rigid and soft LATCH, so make sure you buy the right one.
The one with the soft LATCH has a different shell [btw a much less bulky one].

Last edited:

Hazelandlucy

Ok, I am convinced it's the world's greatest anymore, lol. My DD absolutely hates a harness and especially the HUGS pads so I think that huge pad would bother her.

I do wish we could get that assortment of colors over here!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC