Projectiles Video

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Thought you'd all enjoy this article that shows what happens to unsecured items in a crash. And check out the front passenger with his feet on the dash!

Crash Test Footage Shows Why You Should Strap Down Luggage in Your Car

Projectiles don't mess around - when I was rear ended in January (only at about 15 - 20mph too!) EVERYTHING that was loose in my car found a new place to be. I found stuff in the back seat that was previously in the front. All tiny stuff that wouldn't do any damage, but it was impressive.

ADS

Dillipop

That whole backseat collapsed and broke free as well! At least j think that's what I'm seeing. Scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamah

Yikes. So we have five kids. There is always a ton of small items in our car. Food, books, toys, swim bags, my purse. Do you worry about the little items? And what about the big stuff in the back end? Strollers, groceries, bags, bikes, cooler. How do I secure all of this ?

katymyers

Ok so that's obviously an older vehicle, is that possibly why the whole seat gave way? I was under the impression, mainly because of what's said in various vehicle manuals I've owned, that you can put things behind the seats as a way to secure them. If the seats are going to collapse from the force and those items are going to become projectiles doesn't that make anything in the back of a vehicle unsafe?

Dillipop

A lot of vehicle seats aren't as reinforced as we would assume. There have been a lot of reports of front seats breaking backwards in crashes. And I remember a thread where Ketchupqueen mentioned that the reason they went with a certain year odyssey was because the third row was reinforced and other brands weren't. I'm not sure there is a crash test for how seats fare with cargo behind them.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
A lot of vehicle seats aren't as reinforced as we would assume. There have been a lot of reports of front seats breaking backwards in crashes. And I remember a thread where Ketchupqueen mentioned that the reason they went with a certain year odyssey was because the third row was reinforced and other brands weren't. I'm not sure there is a crash test for how seats fare with cargo behind them.

I was thinking of her too - didn't her van roll in her crash and everything stayed put because she was diligent about securing projectiles?

DebOberg

My husband hates it but nothing rides unsecured in our cars. Even small items like water bottles should not be out and about in the passenger cabin.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was thinking of her too - didn't her van roll in her crash and everything stayed put because she was diligent about securing projectiles?

We rolled and lost some things, but due to all the heavy things being low and close (not tied down) and only light things on top, as well as the reinforced seat back in the third row (something I chose that van because I read it had, in part, after reading a study on seat loading and occupant outcomes) only the pillows and stuffed animals entered the passenger compartment.

katymyers

We rolled and lost some things, but due to all the heavy things being low and close (not tied down) and only light things on top, as well as the reinforced seat back in the third row (something I chose that van because I read it had, in part, after reading a study on seat loading and occupant outcomes) only the pillows and stuffed animals entered the passenger compartment.

So how would one go about finding out if a certain vehicle has reinforced seats or not? I'm extremely careful about how I load my vehicle, heavy items on the bottom, things that are likely to fly loose I strap down, water bottles, toys, purses, phones, tablets, etc. are kept in either the glove compartment, a duffle bag in the back, or the drawer beneath the passenger seat, and only pillows are allowed in the main part of the vehicle. I'm just concerned none of that will matter if my seats collapse.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I honestly don't know other than looking and feeling for it. I remember that I had read of a discussion with someone at Honda who had mentioned they reinforce back rows to withstand that.

Honestly our old van did so well I don't think my husband will ever want to buy another brand even after some mechanical issues on our 05 Ody. I tried to convince him on a Sedona this time but he found the current one with such low mileage and below KBB we went for it. I DO love it, not complaining. Just amused.

katymyers

I honestly don't know other than looking and feeling for it. I remember that I had read of a discussion with someone at Honda who had mentioned they reinforce back rows to withstand that.

Honestly our old van did so well I don't think my husband will ever want to buy another brand even after some mechanical issues on our 05 Ody. I tried to convince him on a Sedona this time but he found the current one with such low mileage and below KBB we went for it. I DO love it, not complaining. Just amused.

I did love my Odyssey. It was so disappointing to not be able to get the airbag recall fixed. I've just been really sold on the newer Sienna's for our next van. Josh is trying to tell me to consider an X5 with a third row, BMW actually does claim to have super reinforced seat backs (though with the lack of cargo space with the third row up I think that's irrelevant, you can't fit anything back there that could collapse the seats).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC