Question Booster seat for travel with 4 year old

elizinor

I've been searching for a lightweight, not-too-bulky booster seat for travel with my 4 year old (39 lbs, 43 in), and really not liking my options. At home, he's in a Clek Foonf (FF), and while I'd be fine taking a carseat rather than a booster, the Clek is just too heavy. We just got back from 6 weeks of summer travel with rental car company boosters, and I learned from that experience that he probably still needs a 5-point harness as he won't always sit properly with just a belt positioning booster.

It seems like Evenflo Maestro and SecureKid boosters might be what I'm looking for functionally, but they seem really bulky for travel and somehow not that high quality. The Britax options seem a little better but are too heavy. When my son was younger, we loved the Combi Coccoro, and I just wish I could find a bigger version of that--well-made, sleek, lightweight, easy to install. We bought the Cosco Scenera after he outgrow the Coccoro, but he's pretty much outgrown that, plus he finds it incredibly uncomfortable and I never really liked it anyway. And I tried the Ride Safer Vest last winter and actually returned it--he was so uncomfortable and seemed to just be swimming in it. Plus, on this particular trip, we were in an old van in Argentina and I just didn't feel like the vest gave him enough protection. Maybe I should reconsider...?

If I found the perfect non-harness booster, I could maybe be swayed, as long as it was high-backed with excellent protection around the head (he's vastly improved his sitting skills since the beginning of the summer). Before our trip, I wanted to get the Maxi-Cosi Rodifix, as I trust that brand and like the portability, the high back and safety features, the LATCH installation (so the booster stays put, although after further thought I can see the advantage of using just a seatbelt with a belt-positioning booster when you're in and out of cars when traveling), and the fact that it did NOT convert to a backless booster (seems like a hassle if you're moving the booster around a lot). The reason I haven't bought it is the new consideration of wanting a harness, plus that fact that it's suddenly very hard to find! The price tag also didn't make me jump for joy, but really if I found a seat I actually wanted, the price wouldn't be my main concern.

Any advice? Is there a booster out there that I just haven't seen? Am I overlooking an important consideration or focusing on the wrong things?

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd give the Ride Safer Travel Vest a second try. They have a version now that can be used with their booster (the Delighter) which would give some leg support and maybe improve comfort? As well as aiding looking out the window. I wouldn't worry about safety- it distributes forces like a harness, only moreso.

If you'll go places with a top tether the IMMI Go could be an option but if that's not going to be a certainty that's not a good option.

lgenne

You're definitely right to be looking for a harness. The CDC doesn't recommend belt positioning boosters under the age of 5 anymore.

I'm not sure the car seat you're looking for really exists. If they're big enough to fit him, they are either steel reinforced (read: HEAVY and generally pricey) or they feel flimsier than you are used to.

Seats I would consider in your situation:

Evenflo Maestro: fits kids and vehicles well, lightweight, budget friendly, becomes a decent belt positioning booster when he's ready.

Evenflo Sureride: also budget friendly and lightweight. Will harness him forever if you want the option. Fits kids and vehicles well. We have one as a spare, and it fits all 3 of my kids. (It's a convertible, so the toddler rear faces.) The 2 who are old enough to voice an opinion love it. It might also make you feel better to know that it scored really well in the Consumer Reports testing, better than a lot of high end seats.

Graco Contender: another convertible, a bit heavier, usually available for about $100. Feels less flimsy than the other 2.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC