Question for Techs: Headrests! Necessary?

macasa

Just wondering about headrests. Several of the older vehicles I have looked at to purchase recently just have bench seating in the back. No headrests. I assume this is not a safe seating position for a person, but ok for car seats of course and HBB that allow for no headrest.

What is the official word on this?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Correct. People need head support up to the top of their ears. As long as a car seat/high back booster seat doesn't require a headrest/high seatback behind it, those are fine to use. Unfortunately a lot of older vehicles weren't great about headrests, and many new vehicles don't have them in every position.

macasa

Great. Thank you. My son is 57 lbs and 48.5 inches tall. He is 6 years old. He is in a Britax Parkway SGL. The vehicle we are getting is a 2001 Cherokee with a bench backseat.

Does that sound like it will work?

lgenne

How long do you plan to keep the vehicle? He'll outgrow the tallest high back boosters (currently) available in a few years; then what?

It sounds fine for now.

macasa

How long do you plan to keep the vehicle? He'll outgrow the tallest high back boosters (currently) available in a few years; then what?

It sounds fine for now.

Yes, that's exactly what I told my husband. After he outgrows the HBB he won't be able to ride in the Jeep. We've been trying to look for replacement seats with headrests online but they don't seem to be readily available.

aeormsby

Also keep an eye on how high the seatbelt is coming out of the side (how high the retractor is). We have a 2004 Dodge Dakota truck and it has a slightly raised back for a headrest in the back seat. DD is 10.5 and still fits in our Frontier 80 as a booster but she's starting to get close to the limits for how high the headrest can go (it's getting close to the ceiling of the vehicle) and how high the belt guide is in relation to the retractor. I think we're good for the couple more years we plan on having the vehicle.

DebOberg

Unfortunately you're right and only passengers in HBBs (or harnessed seats) can ride in that type of seat. After that you basically have a 2-seater!

tribord

Can a Dione radian be installed FF with lap belt only and no vehicle head rest?

The lap belt will be fine, but Diono recommends head support behind the child in a Radian:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2917167&postcount=15

Depending on the height of your child no headrests may not be an issue for you (yet) as long as the bench goes up to the tops of their ears, but it is something that we have run into in our vehicles with our Radians as our children have gotten taller.

The other important thing is that you will want to make sure the forward-facing seat is top-tethered, regardless of if it is installed with a seat belt or LATCH.

MamaChirpy

Also keep an eye on how high the seatbelt is coming out of the side (how high the retractor is). We have a 2004 Dodge Dakota truck and it has a slightly raised back for a headrest in the back seat. DD is 10.5 and still fits in our Frontier 80 as a booster but she's starting to get close to the limits for how high the headrest can go (it's getting close to the ceiling of the vehicle) and how high the belt guide is in relation to the retractor. I think we're good for the couple more years we plan on having the vehicle.

Can you give me a reference for this or more info? Is there a general rule of thumb to follow? I've been looking for information on this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC