Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

So would you FF your 3.5 yr old?

32# and I forget his height at the moment.

My only reason is that he's RF'd a year longer than both my girls, they hit that RD wt limit of 33# at 2.5 yrs.

DS2 is in a Milestone with a RF limit of 40#.

Right now I am thinking I will turn him when he turns 4 or I have to raise the harness/headrest up a notch as it will block my blind spot view more.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: So would you FF your 3.5 yr old?

If you have no compelling reason to no, I wouldn't.

My daughter will be 4 in a month; she still fits with room to spare in her rf seat, so the first time she's ever ridden ff was the other day in my mom's car (her rf spare didn't install easily/well there so I put in a Frontier 90.)

I feel we have enough evidence to show benefit to rf to 4+ that if a kid fits and there aren't other compelling considerations, it's a good idea to continue.

After 4 I give more weight to child preference and convenience. I still wouldn't worry about what you did with other kids- that doesn't really bear on the present.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician

My 3 year old is very close to the RF height limit of his seat and so he might get turned soon. But since your 3 year old is in a seat with room to grow RF, I personally wouldn't turn him yet. My approach is to not buy a new seat to RF past their 3rd birthday, but keep them RF if they fit in their seat until they turn 4, at which point they get to turn FF if they choose.

You're saying the ONLY reason you'd turn him is because he's been RF longer than his older siblings, which is not a good reason for me personally. I've done all sorts of things differently with my different kids!
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

6. Thank You from:

I agree with KQ and jjordan. My daughter is nearly 3.5 and I am planning to keep her RF until at least 4 -- potentially longer if I can't find a compelling reason to turn her. I say, RF until you truly can't stand it anymore (unless they outgrow the seat first, of course!) It doesn't matter what you did with the first ones -- we all do the best we can with the information and resources we have at the time.

If you had other concerns about RF (like if the blind spot is a serious hazard...my RF seats have never been a problem with the blind spot in my car, so I wouldn't know....) I'd want to hear more info. But if you really don't have a reason for turning him then I wouldn't rock the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

8. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    I agree with KQ and jjordan. My daughter is nearly 3.5 and I am planning to keep her RF until at least 4 -- potentially longer if I can't find a compelling reason to turn her. I say, RF until you truly can't stand it anymore (unless they outgrow the seat first, of course!) It doesn't matter what you did with the first ones -- we all do the best we can with the information and resources we have at the time.

If you had other concerns about RF (like if the blind spot is a serious hazard...my RF seats have never been a problem with the blind spot in my car, so I wouldn't know....) I'd want to hear more info. But if you really don't have a reason for turning him then I wouldn't rock the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I think the blind spot will be blocked too much when I need to move the headrest up a notch, but that won't be for many months I don't think.

I just get this itch to turn him every few months and come here for reassurance to wait. With my other 3 children they moved up to each new car seat level when they reached the limit. This much larger limit now is new to me. I really don't think I want him RF until he's 5!
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

Another vote for RF here! There are plenty of times (in, every time she falls asleep??) that I wish my 6yo was still RFing!

We made her use her radian FF all summer since she was falling asleep on the way home from camp a lot and I didn't think a booster was a good choice for that yet.

So far - in 2 years of FF, the only real perks are 1) she can play cards/games with her brother and they could watch the same movie if they wanted 2) I can see her in my mirror.

I do think that before they go to kindergarten that some level of booster training is required for playdates but you have plenty of time for that even if you RF to 5 in your main seat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste View Post

I do think that before they go to kindergarten that some level of booster training is required for playdates but you have plenty of time for that even if you RF to 5 in your main seat!!!

And my kid is starting Kindy right away and still 5 pounds shy of 40. So no play dates with boosters for us. Plus she's only 4y8m so too young IMO. Can't say I'm disappointed that she can't ride in a booster with other people driving.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

CPS Fanatic

Ours about the same age is RF because, well, she can and still fits. 40 lbs. and 40 inches in her Fllo.

But blind spots are huge. I WON'T have her seat in my middle blocking the view but all 6 seats are full in back so I had to arrange carefully. So she is RF behind me because it does not matter and does not affect my blind spot.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car