Talked to a CPS Tech today.

kiloyd

He was telling me it would be fine to FF my 3.5 yr old, 32# son. That the "safe best practices" says RF for 2 yrs. I told him that the AAP says to RF for a minimum of 2 yrs but 4 yrs is better.

DS is doing fine RF I am just getting the itch to FF him because my longest RFer was 2.5 yrs. I have decided that I will turn him either when he turns 4 in January or when I have to move the headrest/harness up another notch as it will block my blind spot view more.

ETA: He was also telling me it was okay to let my 11 yr old in the front seat since it is okay to put a car seat in the front seat (if needed) but put the seat all the way back. Um, no! I like talking to this guy but he doesn't seem current on all his information. Like telling me to make sure when I said the RF weight limit of ds' seat is 40#, he asked if I was sure it wasn't for FF.

When my ds is older I really should become a CPS Tech!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It'd be great if you were a tech. :)

Being a tech is like any other field. You have some who are great, some who are passionate, some who are great and passionate, and some who are good at what they do, but not up to date. And some who are lousy.

I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience.

The AAP doesn't say to rear face to four, btw. They say kids should rear face to two. NHTSA says up to the fourth birthday.

Wendy

jjordan

The AAP's recommendation is as I understand it) based on the study that showed an increased safety for kids up to their 2nd birthday. No studies have been done comparing RF vs FF for kids older than that, so they don't officially recommend RF past that age. The physics of it tells us RF is safer for older kids, byt we don't know how much safer. Many well-informed people are fine with the safety of FF for a 3.5 year old.

Seat knowledge is really hit and miss for techs. The curriculum doesn't teach about specific seats per se - which is good because they change so much anyway! I would hope that most techs are at least current on trends (e.g. the current trend of 40-50 pound RF weight limits), but that is not always the case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC