Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

First-time booster buyer: High-back booster with high height limit

We got rear-ended, so shopping for new car seats. We can buy any models of the same price or less than the ones in the car.

My 7 1/2 year old is 49" high and has been riding in a Britax Frontier. My 4 1/2 year old is 41" high and has been riding in a convertible seat. I'd like to move the 4 1/2 year old to a new Frontier, and get a high-back booster for the 7 1/2 year old. We'll have about $160 to spend on the new booster.

I'd like it to last for a long time, hopefully till my big girl is out of a booster altogether. If it hadn't expired by that time, I'd shuffle it to my younger daughter for the car that doesn't have the Frontier.

Do I want one that converts to a low-back booster? At what point do they need that?

It looks like LATCH would be convenient as well, right?

- I saw the Britax Parkway has a 62" height limit and a 6 year expiration.
    - The Diono Monterey says it has a 63" height limit and 8 year expiration, but I read on another thread that it's actually shorter than the Parkway?
    - And what about a Britax Pioneer, which says it has a 62" height limit - is it worth it for the longer expiration period (9 years)?

Which of these would you suggest? Any other models to consider?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pixielu View Post
    We got rear-ended, so shopping for new car seats. We can buy any models of the same price or less than the ones in the car.

My 7 1/2 year old is 49" high and has been riding in a Britax Frontier. My 4 1/2 year old is 41" high and has been riding in a convertible seat. I'd like to move the 4 1/2 year old to a new Frontier, and get a high-back booster for the 7 1/2 year old. We'll have about $160 to spend on the new booster.

I'd like it to last for a long time, hopefully till my big girl is out of a booster altogether. If it hadn't expired by that time, I'd shuffle it to my younger daughter for the car that doesn't have the Frontier.

Do I want one that converts to a low-back booster? At what point do they need that?

It looks like LATCH would be convenient as well, right?

- I saw the Britax Parkway has a 62" height limit and a 6 year expiration.
    - The Diono Monterey says it has a 63" height limit and 8 year expiration, but I read on another thread that it's actually shorter than the Parkway?
    - And what about a Britax Pioneer, which says it has a 62" height limit - is it worth it for the longer expiration period (9 years)?

Which of these would you suggest? Any other models to consider?
    The Parkway would be a perfect choice. The Pioneer would be overkill, unless you want it for your younger child? My 48"/65lb daughter loves her PW. It is a long lasting booster.
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: First-time booster buyer: High-back booster with high height limit

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Ann View Post
    The Parkway would be a perfect choice. The Pioneer would be overkill, unless you want it for your younger child? My 48"/65lb daughter loves her PW. It is a long lasting booster.
    I agree, though the Monterey and Parkway are nearly the same heightwise. The Monterey is bulkier though.

http://carseatblog.com/comparerating...iono-monterey/

The Pioneer is a harnessed seat, similar to your Frontier, but without the ClickTight easy-install panel, which may make it difficult for a younger booster rider to buckle since it has a higher side to reach around to get to the buckle.