2000 Jeep Cherokee - weird seatbelt!

macasa

My husband wants to get a Jeep Cherokee around 2000 model year. We looked at one yesterday and I am totally confused about the seatbelts. It had the lightweight locking latch plates which I have seen in other Jeeps. No problem. However, the seatbelt did NOT ratchet back when pulled out all the way to activate the automatic locking retractor. It also did not lock when I jerked on it quickly, no matter which angle or strength I did it. What the heck? How do I get the shoulder belt to lock?

ADS

katymyers

My husband wants to get a Jeep Cherokee around 2000 model year. We looked at one yesterday and I am totally confused about the seatbelts. It had the lightweight locking latch plates which I have seen in other Jeeps. No problem. However, the seatbelt did NOT ratchet back when pulled out all the way to activate the automatic locking retractor. It also did not lock when I jerked on it quickly, no matter which angle or strength I did it. What the heck? How do I get the shoulder belt to lock?

It wouldn't have switchable retractors, you rely on the locking latch plates. It's perfectly safe and in my opinion, it's much easier to install most car seats with locking latch plates rather than switchable retractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macasa

It wouldn't have switchable retractors, you rely on the locking latch plates. It's perfectly safe and in my opinion, it's much easier to install most car seats with locking latch plates rather than switchable retractors.

I agree! the lightweight locking latch plates are good for installing seats. I'm trying to understand the seatbelt retractors, though. So, when does the shoulder belt lock? Because when I jerk on the shoulder belt of other vehicles, like in my Honda Accord, it is very sensitive and will lock with the lightest jerk on the shoulder belt. The Jeep's shoulder belt didn't lock at all, on any of the seating positions. How do I know it will lock in a crash?

For installing car seats this doesn't matter, but for passengers and kids in boosters, I definitely want to know that the shoulder belt locks properly.

katymyers

I agree! the lightweight locking latch plates are good for installing seats. I'm trying to understand the seatbelt retractors, though. So, when does the shoulder belt lock? Because when I jerk on the shoulder belt of other vehicles, like in my Honda Accord, it is very sensitive and will lock with the lightest jerk on the shoulder belt. The Jeep's shoulder belt didn't lock at all, on any of the seating positions. How do I know it will lock in a crash?

For installing car seats this doesn't matter, but for passengers and kids in boosters, I definitely want to know that the shoulder belt locks properly.

You should be able to take it to a dealership to see if the ELR is functioning properly. I have the same type of belts in my Dodge Grand Caravan (I think they were pretty much standard on Chrysler Corp vehicles for many years) and I've never been able to engage the ELR by jerking on the belts but the dealership says they are in perfect working order and I know my drivers seat belt has engaged a couple of times when I've had to brake hard due to being cut off while driving.

MelodyoftheForest

I read somewhere recently that Caravans are one vehicle that locks the seatbelts based on the movement of something like a pendulum that moves when the vehicle stops quickly, not when the belts are pulled quickly out of the retractor. Maybe the Jeeps are the same way. You would have to stop quickly during a test drive to test it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macasa

It's probably the same thing. I don't like it because it makes it hard to trust that it's working. Not something you're going to test all the time, you know? I wonder if the seatbelts can just be replaced with "normal" ones.

I read somewhere recently that Caravans are one vehicle that locks the seatbelts based on the movement of something like a pendulum that moves when the vehicle stops quickly, not when the belts are pulled quickly out of the retractor. Maybe the Jeeps are the same way. You would have to stop quickly during a test drive to test it yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Not sure if it helps any, but I was in an '03 Dodge Stratus that was rear ended and my belt DID lock when we were shoved into a truck (kept me from getting hurt worse too). My belt had a LWLL, and the seat belt design may be the one the OP is experiencing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unless there's reason to think the belt assembly or retractor is damaged I'd not worry. Not all belts can be "tested" like that, even switchable belts, and a thorough inspection would catch a broken retractor mechanism.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC