Question Three kids across in a Volvo XC90, Infiniti QX60 or Audi Q7?

C

ChristyJ

I'm SO HAPPY to have found your site! We have three kiddos ages 1, 3 and 5 and we're looking for a 3 row crossover. We've narrowed it down to the Volvo XC90, Infinity QX60 and Audi Q7. Audi is about to be dropped out of contention because, although it gets great safety ratings and has LATCH is every seat which we LOVE, the third row feels terrible. In the third row, the high sides of the car, high 2nd row seat backs and low seating makes it feel like a cave back there for the kids. The other two feel great thanks to Volvo's stadium seating and Infiniti's windows and higher seat position. The issue we have now is whether we can fit three car seats across the second row of the Infiniti AND STILL use their fancy seat that tilts forward with a car seat in place to let passengers into the third row. That would be our perfect set-up! I need one rear-facing convertible, one forward facing convertible and ideally one 5 point seat but it could be a regular booster. I've been looking at the Britax Frontier Clicktight (for the 5 year old), Britax Marathon Clicktight (for the 3 year old) and a rear-facing Chicco Nextfit (for the 1 year old). We are absolutely open to car seat suggestions! If this doesn't work, then Volvo seems like the best option and we'll just leave the 2nd row middle seat folded down so our oldest can climb into the back. We really like the Volvo but are disappointed about the lack of LATCH or at least tether in the 3rd row of what is obviously a family car. Did we discounting Audi too soon? Your expertise would be GREATLY appreciated!

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Just curious on why you want a convertible for the ff 3 yo?
You aren't using it rear facing so a Ff only seat (combination) would be fine...
Unless you plan on handing it down to the 1 yo?
What seats do you have currently to work with?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

ChristyJ

Interesting question. I didn't actually know there was a difference between a convertible and a combination seat. I agree that I don't need forward facing and I'm open to a combination seat.
Currently I have the Chicco Keyfit (that my youngest is graduating from), Chicco Nextfit (which I love) and Diono Radian RXT (which we greatly dislike as it feels much harder to install using the seatbelt, but it is super narrow so I know we may be stuck with it). I'm interested in the Britax seats with ClickTight because they seem like a great and easy install using the seatbelt.

ChristyJ

Hum. That said, my kids are all quite small for their ages so now that I'm looking at combination seats, I think I prefer a convertible for my 3 year old -- I think she'll still be in it until age 5. I also prefer a combination seat rather than a straight booster for my 5 year old for the same reason. All things being equal. If they won't fit though, then I'll have to deal with it.

CPST_girlmom

I don't believe the second row seat in the Infiniti will slide forward with a car seat installed using the seatbelt. It can only be a LATCH install, and because of space issues, can't be a rear-facing seat unless it's fairly small (front-to-back).

Seat belts are anchored quite far forward of the seat bight in that vehicle, too, which can make installing car seats challenging.

I considered the XC90 for my last vehicle purchase, but ended up getting a Honda Odyssey because third row access was so much easier. Though I only have three kids, I really wanted to be able to carry multiple friends in boosters, and that seemed so much easier with the van.

tribord

We just got a 2016 XC90 after tons of deliberation, although we cross-shopped different vehicles than you (Pilot, Highlander, Durango, etc.). I would have much rather had a minivan but we have driveway and garage issues which required a narrower vehicle with higher ground clearance.

I saw one web site say that Volvo doesn't put top tether anchors in the 3rd row because it believes that the second row is the safest place for children, which is true but sometimes you are carrying more than 3 kids! The dealer tried to tell us the cargo anchors were the top tether anchors. It is frustrating!

I only have two kids but if I had a third I would put the boostered child in the third row and probably have them load through the tailgate. Climbing over the middle folded seat would work, too. Also, I have read that you can get the center middle seat removed by the dealer, but it is considered permanent and cannot be reinstalled later.

My issues with the third row (aside from lack of top tether anchors) are that our Diono Montereys do not fit back there in high-back mode (the headrests really interfere, and actually interfere slightly in the 2nd row IMO) and that anyone taller than 5'9" or so doesn't really fit without hitting the ceiling. DH and I are both taller than that and our kids are on track to be, too, so our car may be outgrown when they are teenagers unless their friends all happen to be petite.

We wanted a 3-row vehicle for carpooling and friend-driving purposes and will probably be putting it to the test soon with all sorts of boosters, although with my kids, their friends, and siblings all at 6YO+ probably won't be trying out anything harnessed.

Sorry I can't help more with your cross-shopping, but please let me know if you have any questions about the XC90.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC