Cruise Control

U

Unregistered

How can we get warning labels permanently placed in vehicles WARNING all of the dangers of using the Cruise Controls? Warnings should be boldly viewed just like the AIRBAG warnings,and NOT buried in an owners manual!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've heard CC shouldn't be used in bad weather {rain & snow}.... Not sure what kind of visible warning there could be, though, especially since CC is one of those things that can be added on after a car is bought ~ my mom's car didn't come with it but Zeibart added it a year later.

U

Unregistered

Cruise Control Warnings

The dangers for use of the cruise control do include road and weather conditions...Water in any form on the road creates dangerous conditions. When the CC is engaged, the driver is unaware that the car attempts to accelerate to the set speed, while not having the proper traction on the road surface. This is a deadly situation in the hands of an experienced driver let alone an inexperienced driver. Most cars come with the CC option and are frequently used in all types of driving situations. A warning really should be displayed advising drivers of the potential danger or warn against it's use on poor road surfaces. As stated before, the airbag warning is now in use. This is a very serious issue and there have been many accidents and fatalities due to cruise controls use.

U

Unregistered

Are there accident studies by the NHTSA or anyone else you could reference regarding cruise control and accident propagation.

I have used my CC in the rain on countless occasions without issue.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
I have used my CC in the rain on countless occasions without issue.
I don't usually like using mine for some strange reason, but especially so after I saw a news report on TV & in the paper about families that were in accidents solely because they used CC in rain storms, which caused them to lose control of their vehicles :eek:

U

Unregistered

If I search on the internet, there are claims that driving in the rain with CC will cause hydroplaning. I guess I just don't see how this is tied to the CC being on. Can someone explain how the CC would increase the likelihood of hydroplaning?

U

Unregistered

I guess I still don't get it.

For that scenario and in order to generate any significant acceleration or torque at the drive wheels, you'd have to set the CC speed, then disengage it, slow down considerably, and then hit the automatic reset to try and bring the vehicle back up to speed.

I don't see any difference between taking those actions with CC or just using the normal pedal inputs to achieve the same thing. So how is the CC causing anything?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Perhaps the concern is that drivers would be less likely to notice they were hydroplaning if their feet were not getting any feedback from the pedals? Unlikely, perhaps, but perhaps it is more of a distracted driving issue than one related to the actual implementation of the cruise control...

trishlynne

That's my thought Darren, that it's more of a distracted driver issue.

I NEED cruise control when I'm on long trips. I use it solely to avoid speeding, otherwise, I have a tendency to leadfoot. I can be much more attentive to driving, when I'm not constantly staring at the speedometer.

But I don't use it in bad weather, because I'm generally varying my speed so much that it's just not useful.

U

Unregistered

Using the CC on the highway, long trips, is an ideal situation, however, the CC is being used at other times while driving. One of the most dangerous situations, is when the resume button is used to get back to the previous set speed and the road conditions are not ideal for it's use. If the roads are slick, black ice, an unknown situation...and the CC is resumed after a stop, the car will spin out of control because the rear tires are spinning to get to the set speed. There are probably many accidents when the CC was being used, and were not noted that CC was involved, unless there was an investigation....Yes there is some data here and there, supporting this dangerous issue however, not enough in my opinion. This is a very new topic on safety issues....In the meantime, warn as many people as you can of the safe usage of CC! You may save a life...

U

Unregistered

The use of the RESUME button on the CC, may present a very dangerous situation. If the roads are not dry or free of water, ice, oil, the engine/wheels attempt to approach the prior set speed on very hazardous conditions. This scenario will catch any driver, experienced or not, off guard. The car can spin out of control, a series of 360's. A warning is definitely required because it will save lives.

U

Unregistered

It is really VERY necessary to spread the word on CC. Whenever there is a warning of danger, an explanation should be readily available to each and every one of us, again, not buried in an owners manual. This warning should also be included in Driver's Education courses! We all need to hear and read more about this HIDDEN DANGER before we make the wrong decision. It will save lives... this is a fact!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I guess I just thought this was common knowledge and common sense. I'm pretty sure it's something I was taught in drivers' ed over 10 years ago, and I know I've heard it from several different sources since then.

U

Unregistered

Yeah, I just don't get this. And I definitely don't buy the 'buried in the owner's manual' argument.

That's what the owner's manual is for. Instead of requesting more warning tags everywhere, why not suggest people take the time to review their owner's manuals? There's a lot of helpful information 'buried' in there.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
That's what the owner's manual is for . . . why not suggest people take the time to review their owner's manuals?
AGREED ~ most people I know IRL never bother to look in their vehicle owner manuals & very few people I know IRL take the time to do the defensive driving course every 3 years :mad: I missed some vitally important info in my owner's manual the first time I looked at it, but I like to read through it at the beginning of every winter JIC & the last 3 times I've taken the defensive driving course I've learned something new! If more people did these 2 simple things we'd all be much safer....

U

Unregistered

Are warnings of the DANGERS of using cruise control, included in every manual for every model of car?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC