Suggestions for a 5 year old (in Canada)?

clarinetb

I haven't bought a car seat in about 5 years so hoping for some feedback/suggestions :D

My almost 5 year old is in a Nautilus that was previously used by her sister and is expiring in under a year. She is still harnessed and average height. When the back part of the Nautilus expires, she certainly won't be ready for a backless booster and I'd prefer not to switch her completely to highback booster completely though it could be an option. Either way I have to buy something new :D

Ideally a FF to booster option would be good. I love how easy this one installs, old seats with my oldest were so hard to get good installs ;) I like boosters that latch rather than just sit on the seat... We have a Mazda5, so only two seats in the middle so we don't really have any size constraints. I'd rather not spend a tonne, would be nice to find something for less than a Nautilus, but thinking I might just have to spend that again to get the functionality I want.

Would love any suggestions of what you love out there on the market. She has been in a booster for other cars and sits fairly well, but don't love how floppy they are if they fall asleep and generally don't love them for this age, especially highway driving, but if anyone had great feedback on boosters my ears are open.

Thanks!!

ADS

bubbaray

I would check the expiry of the GN because the LBB portion might still be used. I would use a HBB with a child that age. The Britax Parkway lasts a long time height wise.

clarinetb

I would check the expiry of the GN because the LBB portion might still be used. I would use a HBB with a child that age. The Britax Parkway lasts a long time height wise.

The base is still good, but not ready to have a backless booster for her, will keep it around for the older one/visiting kids as handy to have another booster available.

Thanks, will check out the Parkway.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What year is your Mazda 5? I know there was a body interior change some time ago that affected how seats work there, although I have a vague recollection of it mostly affecting the 3rd row.

Aurezalia

What year is your Mazda 5? I know there was a body interior change some time ago that affected how seats work there, although I have a vague recollection of it mostly affecting the 3rd row.

They changed in 2010, but it was a redesign for the back seats. The middle row has always been very car seat friendly, no big changes. :)

As far as recommendations - how SOON is the seat expiring? Closer to a full year, or only a few months away? And how does her impulse control tend to be?
I'd lean towards waiting until it expires, if she's going to be ~5.5 or so, and moving her to a dedicated booster. But if you think she really will need the harness longer because of impulse control, you could always get a Graco Atlas, which is a slightly stripped-down version of the Nautilus that rings in a bit cheaper. Also check out the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, and Evenflo Securekid - those are all cheaper than the Nautilus.
Let us know if you think she might be ready for a booster and we can make some recommendations for dedicated boosters as well. :)

clarinetb

Mine is a 2010. The only change I know was in the third row to do with the tether going over versus under the head rest... I've had great luck installing all kinds of seats in the middle and back row. I love it for car seat installs :D

They changed in 2010, but it was a redesign for the back seats. The middle row has always been very car seat friendly, no big changes. :)

As far as recommendations - how SOON is the seat expiring? Closer to a full year, or only a few months away? And how does her impulse control tend to be?
I'd lean towards waiting until it expires, if she's going to be ~5.5 or so, and moving her to a dedicated booster. But if you think she really will need the harness longer because of impulse control, you could always get a Graco Atlas, which is a slightly stripped-down version of the Nautilus that rings in a bit cheaper. Also check out the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, and Evenflo Securekid - those are all cheaper than the Nautilus.
Let us know if you think she might be ready for a booster and we can make some recommendations for dedicated boosters as well. :)

The Nautilus expires the end of the year (so 5 years 4 months). We could borrow my parents Tru-Fit which has another couple months beyond that (maybe March?) if I needed a little longer in a harness.

She sits pretty good. She rides in a booster for short trips for carpooling. She has also started to launch a revolt about having a 5-point harness and is demanding a booster (apparently asking is beyond the 5-year old self....) Her sister was just over 6 when we switched her cause she was getting squishy in the Nautilus, she never seemed to mind or notice others in boosters eventhough we had a booster for traveling and if my parents had two kids. This one sees that all the other kids her age have boosters and she likes the idea ;)

She is calmer than her sister and does sit nicely. And we're doing less highway driving with the kids than I was previously, which meant I really wanted something that was good when they fell asleep as a lot of boosters they seem to lean when kids fall asleep!

I'm open to the booster open, would love some good recommendations. We've only ever had the Nautilus and a TurboBooster in my parents car (which I don't love at all :p )

Thanks!!

Aurezalia

I just processed that you're in Canada. 😂 Sorry about that!
Let me go refresh myself on what's available there.
What would be your preferred budget? Luckily boosters tend to be cheaper than harnessed seats and it sounds like a good option for your daughter!

Pixelated

I think I would too, and I might do it now so that if things go poorly you have the harness to move back to straight away.

Do you care if the booster has lower anchors or not? I do out of convenience, but it's not a safety difference. You just have to teach the child to re-buckle when they get out if the seat doesn't latch in.

clarinetb

I just processed that you're in Canada. 😂 Sorry about that!
Let me go refresh myself on what's available there.
What would be your preferred budget? Luckily boosters tend to be cheaper than harnessed seats and it sounds like a good option for your daughter!

Thanks! Yes, Canada can make it more interesting ;) We were in the US a couple years and when we moved back I got sticker shock on the Nautilus to buy a Canadian one... and that was 5 years ago when it was around $220, it is now $300!

Budget, lower is better, haha :p Really need under $300. Would prefer under $200. At least with a booster she'll use it for the next 5 years :D

I think I would too, and I might do it now so that if things go poorly you have the harness to move back to straight away.

Do you care if the booster has lower anchors or not? I do out of convenience, but it's not a safety difference. You just have to teach the child to re-buckle when they get out if the seat doesn't latch in.

I would love lower anchors. One of the great things about the Nautilus when we used as a booster!

Pixelated

I would love lower anchors. One of the great things about the Nautilus when we used as a booster!

Your latchable high back booster options are:

- Clek Oobr
- Britax SGL (must have the L)
- Diono Monterey
- Graco Affix
- Recaro Performance Booster

I think that is it if you want to go straight to a booster. I, too, am a fan of latchable boosters but wouldn't hesitate to get a non-latching one if that's what I needed for my vehicle. If at all possible take her shopping with you and try the seats in your car. See what you like for belt fit and her comfort.

clarinetb

Your latchable high back booster options are:

- Clek Oobr
- Britax SGL (must have the L)
- Diono Monterey
- Graco Affix
- Recaro Performance Booster

I think that is it if you want to go straight to a booster. I, too, am a fan of latchable boosters but wouldn't hesitate to get a non-latching one if that's what I needed for my vehicle. If at all possible take her shopping with you and try the seats in your car. See what you like for belt fit and her comfort.

Thanks for the list, that's a great help for starting to have a look! I like having some time so we can go try out and decide... maybe even catch a sale :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC