Recommendations on good value for HBBs for tall twins

Snag75

I already have 4 fancy combo harness/booster seats (Britax Frontiers) for my twins in 2 vehicles. Now my parents are changing cars and it's time to upgrade the convertibles in one of theirs for when they take the kids (relatively often, but not usually out of our neighborhood). I figured maybe I'd just get some nice high back boosters to save $$. They used boosters once before in a friend's car it was ok, but I'd prefer as much "positioning power" and side-coverage, etc as possible, as well as easy to use, esp since it would be used with grandparents (and not me). These would go in a sedan (like Camry hybrid).
My twins are 6yo and tall. Recommendations?

ADS

Snag75

I don't have a max budget, but would like whatever I buy to serve a purpose and last (after all, I'll have SIX car seats at that point, plus the 4 convertibles that we outgrew!).
I think have adjustable supports but I have usually been removing the headrests to accommodate my car seats. Plan was high back boosters with good supports and easy belt positioning, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The tallest high backs, especially on a budget, require vehicle support behind them which is why I wanted to check. Are your headrests forward-leaning and problematic with car seats? If so that affects my recommendations.

Snag75

Hmm, you know it's not my car so I'd have to check. It's some version of Camry hybrid (leather seats) if that helps?

I wonder why I had to remove the headrests on my Prius for my convertible and combo seats to fit -- different concept? Or likely more forward-leaning?

Now I'm wondering if the Britax Frontiers (with tall headrest) in my Prius should have back support too??

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They don't require it. If you can install properly with vehicle support still in, that's ideal, but only some boosters, a few combos, and one convertible require support.

I will look and see if I can find some pictures. Do you know the model year?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok. Those do indeed look significantly forward-leaning. I'm guessing you'll have better luck just planning on a booster that doesn't require them.

If you want tall and long lasting but NOT requiring vehicle support, in a mid-price range I can think of two- I'd look at the Britax Parkway SG (or SG-L) and the Recaro Performance Sport.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The KidFit is much shorter. They will not last very long in high back mode for extra-tall kids. The Turbo is on the short side as well.

rosey2007

I have a Kidfit and love it, but as a pp said it is shorter lived then others. The Britax Parkway might be a better fit in your situation if you are looking for a longer last high back booster.

Snag75

Seems Recaro is a combo -- perhaps a less expensive option than another Britax Frontier?
Once kids out-grow height on the HBB basically they have to backless, correct? So my goal should be getting tallest HBB that do not need headrest support?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh sorry. I totally meant to say Performance BOOSTER. Duh! My bad. I had a migraine when I wrote that.

Yes if you want them in a high back long term look for a tall high back unless you want to spend again on a taller one in a couple years (or less. I bought a booster for my 8 year old in Feb. that I knew wasn't the tallest but she had 3 settings on so I figured it would last 2 years. Nope. She's now almost outgrown it, 6 months later, and I'm moving her to a Parkway.)

Snag75

So I decided on the Britax Parkway SGLs, found a place with discounts on the colors I wanted...and then realized that I'm not sure if those rear headrests on the Camry Hybrid are removable! Will this make installation impossible? What would my other options be, just backless??

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If that's the case your choices would be either a booster that allows a gap behind it (very few) or a backless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC