Safety 1st advance air se and ex questions

Kel

Ok, think I got those names rights, lol. Do any of you own one of them?
I can't find many threads on these seats.

What are the differences between these two seats other that the 50# RFING limit?

How's the Harness and buckle?

How's the install?

I don't hear much on it here, Is it not well liked?

Thank you all!

ADS

lgenne

RF weight limit, overall weight, price, available colors are the main differences. The install is the same for them, and they take up the same amount of space.

They're gigantic and take up a ton of space, and don't have available harness pads. The EX version was the first seat that really got kids to 50 pounds, so there was some excitement about it, but there's not much to sell it over the other true 50 lb RF seats available now.

Reactions: Kel

Kel

Thank you. I'm looking for a deep shell. We've just decided our MR65 is going into DHs vehicle. So I'm going to need another seat. I want a deep seat like the MR. Baby boy will be out board with no side air bags. Also I drive a full size van, so no worries about size.

I was considering so many seats, but really feel more comfortable with a deeper shell. I don't want a nextfit, so I think this might be a good bet.

How hard is the install?

Wish it had harness covers..

Kel

Oh, and I think ill go SE after thinking about it. (If I get it) 50# will more than likely be over kill for him.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Safety 1st Advance Air EX (or whatever it's called) is an absolute beast. It must be installed according to the lines on the side of the shell. IIRC, there are two lines, but even the more upright one is very reclined, meaning it takes up a ton of space. Even in my Odyssey--which is pretty good about fitting anything--there was little to no room left for a front passenger. If you have a huge vehicle and/or front passengers aren't an issue, it's probably a good choice. Otherwise, see if you can try it out first because it's not going to fit in many situations.

Hazelandlucy

I tried it and it was unbelievable for legroom and I couldn't even see my kid from the side the shell was so deep. But the Foonf/Fllo I think is by far the best ERF seat. It's doesn't feel like a baby seat for an older kid and the install is amazing, it has rebound control, and takes up far less room. Still has great legroom and deep enough sides where it matters

Kel

Thank you both.

Does it take up more front to back space than MR 65?

Kel

Thank you. I've never seen that page before. I'll be reading threw it tonight!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Safety 1st Advance Air EX (or whatever it's called) is an absolute beast. It must be installed according to the lines on the side of the shell. IIRC, there are two lines, but even the more upright one is very reclined, meaning it takes up a ton of space. Even in my Odyssey--which is pretty good about fitting anything--there was little to no room left for a front passenger. If you have a huge vehicle and/or front passengers aren't an issue, it's probably a good choice. Otherwise, see if you can try it out first because it's not going to fit in many situations.
On the other hand, we put it in an Ody behind the driver at the most upright and it fit fine. Maybe a generational difference? This was an 03. The more upright line is 30 degrees.

And it had GREAT leg room. And the install was easy (easier than the Extend2Fit IMO.)

I'm not saying the Extend2Fit doesn't do much of what it does better for the same price, but there are some people who will want certain features it has and it's not a horrible choice if it meshes well in your particular vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. Maybe a difference in the contour and tilt of the seats?

Sounds like this is a seat that's going to be highly seating position dependent.

Kel

Thanks KetchupQueen! I'm going to give it a try and see if it fits. I just ordered the SE in the two tone blue. I just couldn't pass up the price. $102..

I really wanted a fllo or diono but wanteda deeper shell. I also like the Graco E2f, but wasn't 100% sold on it.

Ugh..decisions...Ill report back on how I like it.

Thanks everyone!!

Kel

Well, I cancelled my order. After putting more thought into it , I decided my DH would probably have issues with the seat. So I'm going to try and find one in person.

bnsnyde

My SE would not tighten. I tried all the tricks and gave up. That's not to say other people would have that problem. But I did for whatever reason.

Anyway, it was wayyyy too big. We could not put in in the Odyssey. I mean, we are super tall, so...
Middle seat was fine but it was so deep my child could barely get into it.

I find our Fllo like a dream come true. DH can use it and that is saying a lot! :)

Kel

Well my order didn't cancel, they e mailed me saying they made a mistake. I can refuse the seat at drop off, or send it back...
I think I'm going to try it out. I really like how deep the shell is. Also the full body foam. If it fits I may keep it, idk.. The price is great!
I'm going to try my small 4 yr old in it also.

I'll update incase anyone else is reading this in the future.

Kel

It came today.

First of all, This seat is so plush! The entire cover is super cozy.

Second, It's a beast, lol. But in my 12 passenger van it's fine. For some reason it actually sits a little more up right than our MR65. So as KetchupQueen said, it must just depend on the seats.

I installed it rock solid in just a few mins. Very easy, both forward and rear facing.

Harness is fine, but haven't tried it with a child yet.

I wanted a deep shell for SIP, and this has it. In fact, I'm not sure a child can see anything out of this seat, lol.

I'm 99% sure I'm keeping It. Will try it with a child tomorrow.

bnsnyde

I cannot take the suspense!!!
Please write back once you put kid in. Does it tighten?
I would love to hear your experience.
It must have not cancelled out for a reason, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC