Question Rear-facing tether points for second row of 2016 Honda Odyssey?

S

sande833

I did a quick search, but didn't see any related thread (although I obviously could have missed it!)

In any case, we just purchased a 2016 Odyssey. One of our children (soon to turn 5) is forward-facing; the other (soon to turn 3) is rear-facing. Are there any rear-facing anchor points for a second row tether at the back bottom of the front seat? Or any place to wrap an O-ring strap at the back base of the front seat? In the 2016 Odyssey, there is a single molded piece of plastic that covers the back base - where I would think might otherwise be a good place to wrap an O-ring strap.

In our old CR-V, we could easily wrap an O-ring strap around the back base of the front seat for the tether. But with the new Odyssey, I can't find anything. From a quick google, it appears that other models used to have a place where you could wrap an O-ring strap, but in the 2016, even the front seat seat belt clips are all surrounded by molded plastic. There is what appears to be an anchor point at the front bottom of the second row, but I believe it is always better to tether to the base of the seat in front of where the car seat is.

Any help (even if to tell me what might otherwise be considered "duh" answer!) would be appreciated! Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There were never built in tether points for rear facing on the Odyssey. And it's been pretty hard to tether to the front driver's seat for a long time.

I'm not sure what seat you have, but you don't have to tether it.

And if you're in Canada, you can't tether it this way at all.

Wendy

lgenne

Which seat do you have? If it's a Diono and you're in the US, Diono allows tethering under the seat the restraint is installed in. I have a Radian installed in a captain's chair, with the D ring wrapped around one of the front brackets that the captain's chair attaches to.

I'm not comfortable tethering to the driver or passenger seat (IIRC, Honda maybe allows it driver side but not passenger side?) but I have no problem tethering to that bracket.

Otherwise, I wouldn't tether a rear facing seat at all.

S

sande833

The seat in question is a Diono. (I will admit, I didn't break out the instructions before trying to install in the Odyssey!) All of our previous seats were (rear-facing) Britax, which we tethered via the O-ring strap to the front seat. Thanks, all, for your insight!

bnsnyde

Our 2011 Odyssey had a Radian tethered there RF.
I cannot remember how we did it! I know for one seat we wrapped the rope part around some metal and it worked, barely. It was really a pain.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC