2014 Sienna - 4 kids, preferably RF, all big

TraderTif

We're expecting baby #4 next year, and will have a 3, 2, and 1 yr old when they're born. I try to keep them RF as long as possible - currently in Chicco key fit and 2 nextfits. But the 6m old is about to outgrow the keyfit, and the 3 yr old is a couple pounds shy of the weight limit on the nextfit.

My question, I guess, is......any recommendations on seats that can RF as long as possible for weight and height. Baby #2 is even taller/bigger than his sister and will outgrow his nextfit sooner.

And.....is it even possible to arrange 4 RF in the Sienna, and still be able to get in, lol. We currently have 1 nextfit in the third-row, driver side, with the other nextfit in the second row driver side. The keyfit is in the other second row chair, because it's simple to get around when the seat is popped out. But our kids outgrow the bucket seats by about 6m of age, or less. So I could envision a time with 4 RF convertibles....and I don't know if that could really be done in a Sienna?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

walnutgold

I would say put the two oldest in the rear most bench in Graco Extend 2 Fits and put the youngest in a NextFit. Then the 1yo and newborn could go in the captains chairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

lgenne

I would say put the two oldest in the rear most bench in Graco Extend 2 Fits and put the youngest in a NextFit. Then the 1yo and newborn could go in the captains chairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

This, and load kids in the 3rd row through the tailgate.

Keeyamah

Is this one of the ones where a Captains chair can be slide over, making an aisle to the back on the side instead of through the middle? Just wondering if that might make a good spot to corral children in rainy weather or busy parking lots while you get them loaded? I've only got two and an SUV, so I don't know.

walnutgold

I've wondered about that - it seems really awkward to load through the back. Do people find it easier?
Posted via Mobile Device
When we still had our minivan we found it a lot easier. Removing headrests and just climbing into the trunck temporarily made life quite easy. Though if the 2014 Sienna is anything like the 2011, it's also possible to slide in between the kids in the way back to buckle them in. But I DO NOT reccomend trying to lean over their seats from behind. I took too many heads to the face doing that.

lgenne

I've only had a rear facer in the 3rd row of my Odyssey a couple of times, and only one kid, and I had good access from the 2nd row, and a place to sit next to him. Granted, he was too small to climb into his own car seat at the time, so a cooperative toddler might change the equation a bit. But I still greatly preferred loading through the tailgate.

Dillipop

I've wondered about that - it seems really awkward to load through the back. Do people find it easier?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll be a dissenter here. I hate loading through the hatch in my 2008 Sienna. The floor is so low that I have a hard time reaching over and I feel like I'm draped over and it's not comfortable. And I don't find there is enough space to put the child over the back row easily. Add in the fact that I'd have to clear either a stroller or Rubbermaid bin every time to do it, it's a huge hassle for me.

I love to load through the hatch in my 2012 mazda5 though. I don't have to do any contortions and keep my feet firmly on the ground to do it. And the space between swayback and ceiling is adequate to easily get a kiddo through.

How close to 4 will your oldest be when baby is born? And how close to 4 will they be when you think you'll need to move the baby to a convertible?

I'd start with 2 rfers in the 3rd row and a convertible and infant seat in the second row. Put the infant seat on the front seat while getting the other kiddos in and then attach to base.

Once you move to convertible, I'd probably forward face the oldest personally. Have them sit in the front seat while loading the other 3 and then settle the oldest in the forward facing seat on the captains chair in the center row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danceintherain

I'll be a dissenter here. I hate loading through the hatch in my 2008 Sienna. The floor is so low that I have a hard time reaching over and I feel like I'm draped over and it's not comfortable. And I don't find there is enough space to put the child over the back row easily. Add in the fact that I'd have to clear either a stroller or Rubbermaid bin every time to do it, it's a huge hassle for me.

I love to load through the hatch in my 2012 mazda5 though. I don't have to do any contortions and keep my feet firmly on the ground to do it. And the space between swayback and ceiling is adequate to easily get a kiddo through.

How close to 4 will your oldest be when baby is born? And how close to 4 will they be when you think you'll need to move the baby to a convertible?

I'd start with 2 rfers in the 3rd row and a convertible and infant seat in the second row. Put the infant seat on the front seat while getting the other kiddos in and then attach to base.

Once you move to convertible, I'd probably forward face the oldest personally. Have them sit in the front seat while loading the other 3 and then settle the oldest in the forward facing seat on the captains chair in the center row.

How tall are you?
(just curious because loading through the hatch may be in my future)

danceintherain

5'5"

It's doable, I just don't find it easy or comfortable to do so.

Thanks! I'm 5'9, which could either make it more or less convenient. I just hit my head on an airplane roof the other day...

Note to self: When minivan shopping, see how easy it is to lean over the the back seat.

lgenne

Easier, I'm pretty sure. You'll learn quickly how not to hit your head. And presumably your taller height comes with longer arms, which means it's easier to actually buckle. I'm almost the same height as you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC