Anyone own a Mazda CX-5 or CX-9?

julia94115

I currently drive a 2007 CR-V and as much as I love/have loved it- I am OVER all of the recalls, etc...

front and passenger airbags recall..

door locks recall....(have been replaced but are making noises again)

AC compressor under extended coverage until 7 yrs or 100k miles (I'm at 84,000 and mine just died this week on our vacation in 105 degree temps!!!)

Someone recommended I take a look at the Mazdas. I need AWD and prefer to sit higher. They look nice but I've never owned one. I've always been Honda, Subaru girl

Any thoughts?

ADS

oliviacw

I just bought a new car and we looked closely at the Honda CRV, the Mazda CX-5, and the Subaru Outback. Ended up with the Subaru because we preferred the wagon feel and it had a lot more rear passenger leg room. The Mazda and Honda are very similar vehicles and the Mazda gets excellent ratings from Car & Driver and Consumer Reports. The Subaru Forester is also in this class. Take a test drive and compare - it's hard to go wrong either way.

SavsMom

The CX5 feels more cramped to me in terms of passenger room. The CX9 is very spacious as its in a different class.
I just traded my beloved Outback for a Nissan Rouge and I really like it. The Outback definitely has more room but the Rouge is pretty spacious for its class (better than the Escape, Cherokee, CX5, Tiguan).

Ali

DH has a CX-5. Watch out which trim model you get. The one with the 40-20-40 split backseat has a super narrow middle seat and it's utterly useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

julia94115

So am just back from the dealer. Didn't have time to go for test drives but played in both models. Oh wow---that CX9 is a beauty! Really, really nice.

Unfortunately we live in a large city so space is really an issue....am trying to weigh if it's worth the daily fight.

I wonder if it's possible to rent one for a week to give it a good test? Off to research.....

cookie123

So am just back from the dealer. Didn't have time to go for test drives but played in both models. Oh wow---that CX9 is a beauty! Really, really nice.

Unfortunately we live in a large city so space is really an issue....am trying to weigh if it's worth the daily fight.

I wonder if it's possible to rent one for a week to give it a good test? Off to research.....

Curious if you got the CX9? I'm wondering if it has any car seat issues like overlapping seat belts non movable headrests and the like.

tribord

I don't think the crash test results are out yet for the new CX-9. It didn't do so well last time, and I hope (but not assume) that they have fixed those issues for the 2017 model year redesign.

For a 3-row vehicle that is on the (relatively) smaller side you might want to look at the new models of the Dodge Durango, GMC Acadia, and Volvo XC90. All three are narrower than the CX-9 and the Volvo and Acadia are shorter as well, Durango is about the same length.

rcs914

Sorry- don't know. I still am eyeballing it even though our mechanic recommended against it due to "most of the parts are Ford."

This is completely, utterly, false. None of the parts of the CX-9 or the CX-5 are Ford - while Mazda and Ford were at one point closely tied, this partnership has ended. All currently Mazda vehicles are 100% Mazda and do not share any FMC components.

I have a 2014 CX-5 and while I LOVE the driving dynamics of it - it handles like a sports sedan rather than a CUV - the amount of room in the back seat leaves a lot of room for improvement.

For the past two years we've had a Chicco Nextfit in the center seat, using the seatbelt since the LATCH is a 16.5 inch spacing where you borrow one from each outboard seat. Borrowing is allowed in the manual, but the only carseat that allows that wide of a LATCH install is a Britax I believe.

The Keyfit leans slightly due to the split in the seats, but does install solidly. I have to do the install - my wife essentially can't push the seat down far enough to lock the belt and get the seat tight. If you put the keyfit to either side the front person has to scoot way forward. In anticipation of our daughter arriving in November I just moved the Nextfit to the passenger side, and will have to install the keyfit 30 behind the driver. You cannot fit one seat in the middle and one on the side using these two.

For the last couple years my wife has ridden in the back with our son, and with the Nextfit in the middle this is quite cramped for a passenger in the outboard position.

Essentially doing rear-facing is difficult due to the seat position you have to adopt in the front - I'm 6'1" and I now feel cramped having the Keyfit behind me - and that is with the handlebar left in the upright position.

julia94115

This is completely, utterly, false. None of the parts of the CX-9 or the CX-5 are Ford

Well- I'm not sure I'd go quite that far---based on my 6 seconds of internet research I found that the CX-9's engine was Ford up until the 2016 model.
So not entirely "completely, utterly, false...."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC