Latch didn't fit in UK cars

Hazelandlucy

So i ended up taking the Clicktight and G4 Boulevards on my UK trip. Neither fit in any car tried (mostly Vw Golf and Passat wagons) using latch - the base of the seat would sit much too wide. I assume it's from the use of rigid latch that comes from the carseat base or is there less space between anchors? My seats would be sitting right on top of the latch connector.

ADS

Dillipop

I thought they were the same distance as each other's latch and isofix. In the US, some seats are wider than the latch hooks- the belt just kinda goes behind the seat a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, exact same distance. Some seats do sit on top of the anchors.

Those are so easy to install with seatbelt, I likely wouldn't have even attempted anchors. :)

Hazelandlucy

It was just the G4 I tried with latch, but the click tight also sat on top. Would that have been ok? It made it very hard to tighten! Why do they seem to fit fine in the US? Just different shaped seat cushions? It was a super easy seatbelt install and made me appreciate the G4 for its versatility!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It may be that they were located a bit differently than you are used to depth wise- but there's a huge allowed variation in the US that isn't allowed in Europe. Yes, it's ok for them to sit on top as long as it gets tight.

oakster

We have a Marathon G3 that sits/sat on top of the anchors in both our current and old car--I think it's just a small car thing. I'm used to it so it's never struck me as odd. :) With the G3 (and I assume G4 too?), you can thread the latch straps up through the seat (pull them through the openings where the harness belt attaches) and tighten that way--I find it actually works much better for tightening even in cars where the anchors aren't under the seat. If you ever have to do it again and want to use LATCH, my usual way to do it is to loosen the straps so I can pull the seat out enough to reach the LATCH anchors, buckle it in, thread the straps up through the seat, slide it into the correct position (covering the anchors), and then tighten. To release it you do have to loosen the straps first so that you can pull the seat out enough to reach the LATCH anchors to unbuckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC