Which do you think is worse?

which is worse?

• Total voters
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, hard to pick a worse out of there... would depend - how expired, would the parent in question still be the original owner?

IF the seat was just recently expired (less than 6mos,) and parents were original owners, I would choose it over a used seat with unknown history if I was forced to choose.

Would depend on the circumstances though... I couldn't really say which is worse because they're both bad.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How far expired? If it's just at the 6 year mark & has been at normal temps then I'd try not to worry too excessively -- if it's closer to 10 years, then no way.... If there isn't a seatcheck location (even within an hour or two: it's worth it, people!) for a CPST to help resolve the issue, then at least replace the harness of a used seat + make sure all pieces are perfect to the naked eye (manual manual manual)

Ultimately, even with absolutely NO income right now & facing financial disaster zone, I could figure out how to get a safer carseat than used or expired :twocents:

amyg530

so i guess i should answer my own question, i would go with the used seat, it seems to me like the chances of there being a problem with an expired seat are higher than with a used seat

i know there are places to get seats but i'm sure thats not always an option for some people and i was thinking that the two choices were Freecycle seats, so both free. not a real issue though, i just saw on another board someone asking about where to get free seats b/c she knew a high school mom who was using a really old infant seat and it made me wonder.

Last edited:

keri1292

A teenage mother should have some resources available for a new, free seat. Did you suggest that she take the expired seat to a check? They usually have freebies. :twocents:

My choice is the expired if it's less than 8 years, otherwise the unknown is probably a better gamble. But, who wants to gamble with their childs life? :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
IF the seat was just recently expired (less than 6mos,) and parents were original owners, I would choose it over a used seat with unknown history if I was forced to choose.

Yeah.

But how expired and how unknown would be the issues for me. One-owner and well-cared-for seat that is three weeks past the expiration date, or twelve years old stored in a shed outside? A seat that my best friend got from her sister (but the sister isn't available to answer questions) or a seat that I found sitting on the curb?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC