Car seat "head support" straps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutgold

If you don't know what I'm talking about it is essentially a piece of elastic with a small piece of fabric that is meant to support the head of your child to avoid head slump.
Although I don't plan to buy one, I was wondering, are they dangerous? They don't prevent harnesses from being properly secured and they do no interfere with the car seat itself. Although head slump isn't danger for older kids, are these?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Dillipop

I personally think they are dangerous. They are an untested product meant to hold a head in place. In a crash, how will that effect the neck? Will it wrench it? Will it slip down and cause neck or breathing problems in a crash? Since we don't know, I would stay far away from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You never want to restrain the head separately from the body. It can put a lot of stress on the neck.

Wendy

walnutgold

You never want to restrain the head separately from the body. It can put a lot of stress on the neck.

Wendy

What do you think of the products designed for special needs kids? For a child with low tone whose oxygen saturation could be comformised I might actually consider one. However my son with low tone is safely reclined rear facing so this is purely a theoretical.
Posted via Mobile Device

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What do you think of the products designed for special needs kids? For a child with low tone whose oxygen saturation could be comformised I might actually consider one. However my son with low tone is safely reclined rear facing so this is purely a theoretical.
Posted via Mobile Device

The ones tested with the seat that are held back with velcro, generally, don't bother me. They're tested, and they have a way to release in a crash.

The straps that go around the seat and the child's head aren't tested, and don't have an out.

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC