We need a new seat. Who gets it?

Brandy1126

Hello! I am looking for advice on a new car seat. I have three kids - ages 8, 6 and 1. My 1 year old needs to move out of her infant seat soon.

My 8 year old is 46 pounds and 51 inches.
My 6 year old is 42 pounds and 43 inches.
My 1 yea old is 18 pounds and 30 inches.

I currently have a Britax Frontier 85 SICT (MFG date 5/2012) and a Britax Advocate 70 CS (MFG date 6/2011). I can't decide what would make the most sense for the new seat and for which kid?! I'm thinking my middle guy gets a new seat and his sister goes into the Advocate. Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Keeyamah

I'd get a dedicated booster for the 8 year old.

Me too, barring any medical issues( i.e. serious impulse control issues or extremely poor muscle tone) necessitating harnessing, an 8 yr old of their hieght and weight is safe in a booster. I'd start with a High Back Booster, and hand the other seats down.

momtoo3

I would also buy a dedicated booster for the 8 yr old as long as they will sit properly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Dillipop

I would also get the 8 year old a dedicated highback booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandy1126

Thanks guys! Isn't his frontier a high back booster though? We're currently using it with the 5 pt harness, but we can use it as a high back booster. If he still fits the 5pt harness, why would I switch him to seat belt?
Posted via Mobile Device

walnutgold

I would also say 8yo gets the seat. I'm assuming they aren't sitting three across? I would reccomend either a Britax or Diono booster if you have the money. The won't work three across, but they are nice seats. Obviously if those are too expensive a cheaper seat will do just as good of a job when used properly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brandy1126

Thanks guys! I tried to post earlier, but my phone was not letting me. My 8 year old's Frontier is a high back booster, isn't it? We're currently using it with a 5 pt harness, but if it fits him that way, why switch him to a seat belt? I think he is responsible enough to switch to a seat belt with his Frontier, but I think it'll be difficult for him to buckle because the car seat buckle is tough to get to since the Frontier is so big. He's a little guy and the 5pt harness goes up to 85 pounds, I believe so what would be your reasoning to switching him to a different seat? Now I'm wondering if I'm way off in what I was thinking since everyone is suggesting the same thing. I'm glad I posted before making a decision!

Brandy1126

I would also say 8yo gets the seat. I'm assuming they aren't sitting three across? I would reccomend either a Britax or Diono booster if you have the money. The won't work three across, but they are nice seats. Obviously if those are too expensive a cheaper seat will do just as good of a job when used properly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, they are not three across currently. It would be cool if I could fit them three across, but definitely not a necessity. :) We're in a 2007 Honda Odyssey. I struggle with wanting to buy the safest possible seat, but then I always hear any seat is as safe as the next if it's installed properly. Does all the SICT in the Britaxs not really provide extra protection at all? Am I buying these huge seats for nothing and I should go with something slimmer? Hmm....

jjordan

Brandy, since you are a new user, your posts go into moderation and need to be approved before they show up. Nothing wrong with your phone! I've approved the ones in this thread and deleted a couple of duplicates. Sorry it took so long, summer means more people vacationing and sometimes it takes a little longer for posts to be approved.

Brandy1126

Brandy, since you are a new user, your posts go into moderation and need to be approved before they show up. Nothing wrong with your phone! I've approved the ones in this thread and deleted a couple of duplicates. Sorry it took so long, summer means more people vacationing and sometimes it takes a little longer for posts to be approved.

Oh goodness! You probably thought I was crazy! Haha! Thank you! No worries at all! Enjoy your summer! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Keeyamah

Thanks guys! I tried to post earlier, but my phone was not letting me. My 8 year old's Frontier is a high back booster, isn't it? We're currently using it with a 5 pt harness, but if it fits him that way, why switch him to a seat belt? I think he is responsible enough to switch to a seat belt with his Frontier, but I think it'll be difficult for him to buckle because the car seat buckle is tough to get to since the Frontier is so big. He's a little guy and the 5pt harness goes up to 85 pounds, I believe so what would be your reasoning to switching him to a different seat? Now I'm wondering if I'm way off in what I was thinking since everyone is suggesting the same thing. I'm glad I posted before making a decision!

One of the reasons most of us are suggesting a dedicated high back booster is because the Frontier is a large seat and can be difficult for kids to buckle independently. Also, many harness to booster seats are difficult to use as a booster if you switch before the child has outgrown the harness by height because of the way the belt ends up being routed, and the Frontier is one of them. In addition to all of the reasons previously stated.

Brandy1126

One of the reasons most of us are suggesting a dedicated high back booster is because the Frontier is a large seat and can be difficult for kids to buckle independently. Also, many harness to booster seats are difficult to use as a booster if you switch before the child has outgrown the harness by height because of the way the belt ends up being routed, and the Frontier is one of them. In addition to all of the reasons previously stated.

That's definitely something I hadn't thought about! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dillipop

How long do you plan of rearfacing your youngest? Your advocate will expire either next year or the year after- check your manual to see if your seat is a 6 or 7 year expiration. If it will expire before you would want to forward face the baby, I'd consider getting a seat that will work well to rear face for a long time and then forward face. Maybe a Graco clone or a britax clicktight.

Keep the older kids in their current seats until the advocate expires, then switch middle kiddo to the frontier (which has a 9 year expiration) and get a dedicated booster for the oldest at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oakster

The Advocate is good for seven years, so it expires in June 2018. Given that, I agree with others to buy a high-backed booster and bump everyone down--then when the Advocate expires, bump down again and you may just be able to buy a no-back booster for your oldest (since at that point kids will be 3/8/10).

We have a similar set of seats (though one less kid!) and that's our plan as well. I would pay attention to expiration dates on high-back boosters, though--I was surprised to find they range from 6 to 10 years. Ten years might get you through all three kids, while six would potentially mean you'd have to buy another down the road.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC