No headrests in camp transportation

bnsnyde

Has anyone else struggled with this? No headrests in the van?

Next summer I'll have a soon to be 6th grader and he'll be old enough for teen travel camps. It would really be helpful if he could do some of these weeks because it's hard to take the little out and about to the places the older kids like. Plus too many admissions! This way, he'd get to do a fun trip daily that is age appropriate. He's getting old for the general day camp stuff.

There are NO headrests. It is a 15 passenger van. Driven by counselors as young as 21. I just don't feel great about that. All four neighboring park districts are the same. I have seen the teens in these vans...heads sticking way up with no protection.

So what does one do? I have never heard of any teen camp van crashes from googling but I do worry. In the past it has always been a school bus or a mini-bus equipped for kids, for the younger kid camps.

And then I also worry less about going around in town, and some trips are. But some involve highways. And these vans are not even easy to drive (having done it once to Florida!).

I suppose, too, someone with a shorter "tween" would have the booster problem, and he has 5 stepped in our van since the tail end of age 9 (super tall) and next year will be turning 11 so at least I don't worry about a booster for next summer.

ADS

walnutgold

Quite honestly I don't think there's anything you can do. The crash rate for vans full of children is quite low as far as I know. I totally understand your worry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC