Evenflo Symphony straps coming loose - Canada

bcdad

Today, I noticed that after a 10 minute drive, the straps were looser than when I buckled my son in. I was pretty sure it was snug tight with the chest clip in its proper place, but by the end of the drive there was about 1/2 inch of slack (more or less). On our way back, I made sure the strap was extra snug and that he was positioned properly (in case he somehow is retaining slack when I buckle him in), but again just a few minutes later it seemed loose again (though not as bad as the first time).

I'm not sure what the cause is - I'm thinking it could be one of the following:

1) The body pillow is somehow creating slack, so I have removed it for now and will see how he is on our next trip.
2) The harness straps are below the shoulder, and because it is a non-rethread system, when he stiffens his body it pushes the harness up, creating slack.
3) He is able to press the harness release button somehow (he is into a phase of pressing switches of all sorts, and at the end of the drive he always is holding the end of the harness adjuster strap).
4) The car seat is defective.

I like the car seat a lot for the ease of installation so we can transfer it between cars, but the fact that this happened twice in the same day worries me. I don't recall it happening the last time we used it a week ago, so it is a bit baffling. It is not our primary car seat, and if this happens again we will stop using it.

I tried to google if anyone else has had this issue and ran across this old thread on here, but since it is so old, I wasnt able to reply:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=264245

Did anyone find a reason or solution to this back then? Or does anyone have any additional thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. How old is your son?

It sounds like you've thought through the problem pretty thoroughly. Has he ridden in the seat since you removed the body pillow? I think the next step would be to call Evenflo and see what their response is.

bcdad

He is 13 months now. After removing the body pillow and buckling him in, I wiggle his entire body from side to side so that he settles into the seat a bit more, and then tighten the straps a bit further. It seems to have done the trick for the last couple short rides. I will keep a closer eye on it for the next little while, especially on longer trips. I just worry that sometimes the clip it is too tight against his chest and the buckle digs into his stomach!

Our main seat is a Clek Foonf and it is much easier to buckle him up in it. For this one, it seems a bit more finicky and pulling on the straps from the bottom rather than the top to loosen them always feels unfamiliar. If anyone else has any comments, I'd be glad to hear them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How much space is there between his crotch and the crotch buckle? Is he sliding down into that space?

I'd give Evenflo a call and discuss with them, they're best positioned to advise on any troubleshooting for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC