Driver's seat belt has ELR and non-locking latch plate

U

Unregistered

I have a ford Windstar and I notice that while all the other seat belts have big heavy locking latch plates, the driver's seat does not. This is a used van so I don't know if this is how it was built or if it was altered.

Is this safe? The lap belt slides right through if you pull on it while it's buckled and it loosens over time while you drive. Every so often I have to pull it tight at the shoulder to get it snug again.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Keeanh

I don't know about the Windstar specifically. But that sounds normal to me. Driver's seats do not have pre-locking mechanisms (locking latchplate or retractor) because you're not installing a car seat there. If the belt is loosening while you drive, it probably means the spring in the recoiler is getting worn out. Not a safety hazard on its own as long as it's maintaining decent tension and the emergency lock still works. But if it's not retracting at all after you shoulder check and is getting slack, you could replace the driver's belt. If it's an older Windstar (ie. around 20yo) you should probably be replacing belts soon anyways.

Dillipop

The drivers belts in all the cars I've driven are the same as yours. They don't lock pre-crash. I find myself tightening the belt across my lap in all cars. I think my movement while driving loosens things up a little and I like it to feel tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

I have seen at least one vehicle with a switchable retractor in the driver's seat (I can't remember which one I tried, but I've only tried one).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC