Vent CPS tech gave poor advice...

jenjones821

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and we currently have 2 rear facing Clek Fllos in the back seat. I rear face both my 2.5 year old son and my 3.5 year old daughter. We are expecting a third next month and bought another Clek Fllo (with the infant thingy insert) to put in the back seat of the Cherokee, since it should fit 3 across just fine. I reached out to our local CPS tech at the local fire department to have her check the car seats for me, since I am almost 8 1/2 months pregnant and I wanted to make sure I got them buckled in as tight as possible. She told me that 3 across in the back seat was not recommended for my car or those car seats because she didn't think the seats should touch one another (which I had never heard before). I told her that the car seat manufacturer did not agree with that sentiment, as they boasted that these are some of the narrowest safest seats on the market and work great with 3 across installations in MOST vehicles (I know it doesn't work in all vehicles-but I felt 100% confident that it worked in mine-each seat was independently secured) but since she is the expert I asked her what she recommended I do. Buying another vehicle is not exactly in our immediate plans or abilities right now. She asked how big my 3 1/2 year old daughter was. I told her she was 40" and weighs 39 lbs. She said that not only did my daughter not need to be rear faced in her current car seat (which is NOT TRUE-the Clek Fllo will safely rear face up to 42" and up to 50 lbs) but that my daughter is CLOSE ENOUGH to the size and age for a BACKLESS BOOSTER SEAT, and that is what she would recommend. She proceeded to tell me that my daughter would be much HAPPIER in this set up than before... I thanked her for her time and politely went on my way. But I am upset that this "expert" would recommend something so unsafe for my child. Am I wrong in feeling this way??? Thank God that I know better and I am choosing to go against her advice, and I am keeping my daughter in extended rear facing position until she gets much bigger. I'm not concerned about how "HAPPY" my daughter is in her current car seat and position. I am much more concerned about how SAFE AND SECURE she is. That is my priority as her caregiver and her parent.

ADS

Ninetales

It's so unfortunate to find someone who is supposed to be an expert who has no clue what they're doing. And frustrating, because even though you obviously have the correct information, how many other people follow that crappy advice and then go their merry way?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Jen, I'm so sorry you had that experience! While many techs are excellent at what they do and keep up to date, unfortunately a few slip through the cracks. It sounds like you found one of those.

Do you happen to know of any other technicians in the area? If so, I might reach out to them and relay your experience. If she'd encouraged you to forward face, I'd be less concerned - but with advice as poor as moving a 3.5yo to a booster it might be worth your time to call it to someone's attention.

jenjones821

yes, very frustrating!! I have contacted a few other CPS techs in the area, one of whom is also an instructor, so I feel confident that I can get my 3 across installation verified and cps checked. I just worry about how many other parents take ill advice from a cps tech who is not as passionate about children's safety as they should be.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Please mention your experience to that instructor. This sounds as if the tech you saw could benefit from some mentoring/retraining, and the instructor is the best person to have an avenue to make that happen.

I agree, I worry about how many other families are receiving poor counsel.

Kobain's Mommy

Please mention your experience to that instructor. This sounds as if the tech you saw could benefit from some mentoring/retraining, and the instructor is the best person to have an avenue to make that happen.

I agree, I worry about how many other families are receiving poor counsel.

:yeahthat:

Almost sounds like a forced CPST. There was a few in my class that were there because their job forced them. I was the only one there on my own, but there were 3 other ladies there for work but were extremely into in helping families they serve.

bnsnyde

I went to a seat check a few days ago. My certification expired but anyway...when I volunteered I remember how sad it was when nobody showed up (or just a few people). So I gave them some business. Anyway...I had 3 seats with me (and 3 not with me). The van shop totally took apart everything when we had to access a spare tire, so it was good timing.

They were going to move my daughter's Fllo straps up! And I said, oh, why are you going to do that? Then she thought and said...oh, wait, she is RF, never mind. So I guess, lol, you have to be careful.

I have a bad shoulder and the two of them (these were the more senior ones and THRILLED to see a RF 3 YO) got an awesome install because my Fllo always goes loose over time with seatbelt, always. I guess I simply need to check it frequently. I think it has to do with how the base is, etc. It simply won't go super rock crazy solid "survive an earthquake" tight like my lightweight Sceneras do. Pushing down plastic with the seatbelt is one thing, but for some reason with all the metal on the Clek...over time with my daughter climbing in and out, I think it shifts a bit or something and goes loose.

Though it was so hot even with the air on I worried about the napping baby...and then there they are handing out a pamphlet about kids and hot cars!!!!!!! :)

Oh, by the way I saw above that Clek Foonf goes to 42" RF but the website says 43", so I think you meant 43? I almost had a heart attack since 43 is much better! My 3 YO is a newer 3 YO and already 40 inches and growing...

Cnidaria

Clek has said that the height limit includes all of 43", so it's actually 43.999999". Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me to express it that way but that's what they've said. :-D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC