Is the 2017 Ford Escape a safe enough option? Tucson?

LuvBug

So I have a fractured vertebra that causes me a lot of pain and I am looking for a taller vehicle that is easy for me to get in and out of. But I am also not allowed to lift my hands above my head, per my doctor, so a power liftgate would be necessary.

Because of these two stipulations I am having a difficult time finding a new SUV that would fit in our budget. Preferably new, because we would likely lease it for the most affordable payment. Even so, most of the SUVs that have the power liftgate are still above our budget in a lease.

The only two that seem to actually be contenders are the Ford Escape and Hyundai Tucson. I've never owned a Hyundai or a Kia and I'm not sure how well I trust the brand. The Ford has poor crash test ratings for the offset frontal.

Can anyone weigh in on all this and help me figure out what would be safe for my children but also fit my needs and my budget?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
ADS

oliviacw

I'm not sure of your actual budget but it might be worth looking at the Subaru Outback. One of the options (on the Premium trim level and above - don't know if you can get it on the base model) is a power lift gate. It's high enough to get in easily without being too high - it is more of a cross between a wagon and an SUV. The cargo space is quite capacious and more flat than vertical which can be nice.

They are currently generally selling for somewhat less than invoice, so don't be put off by the MSRP. I just bought a Premium with power lift gate, moonroof, and navigation for just under $30k. Without the navigation that would easily be closer to $28k, and possibly lower depending on what else could be unbundled.

Good luck!

LuvBug

I'm also looking at the outback. I'm hoping we can get it low enough for budget, but if not the escape is actually in budget. The Tucson is iffy about budget, their pricing is confusing because they supposedly do huge rebates.
Posted via Mobile Device

SavsMom

I'd look at an Outback or Forester.

Don't get me wrong, the Escape is fine but from an ease of vehicle exit/entry the Outback or Forester is much better.

LuvBug

I test drove the escape and it caused a lot of pain, so that's out.

We are going to see if we can somehow fit a Subaru in our budget.
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC