Guide and Scenera Next questions

Hazelandlucy

Would you feel ok latching a right at 39 lb kid forward facing the Safety 1st Guide 65 with the latch limit of 40 lbs? She might hit close to 40 in heavier clothes or after a big meal, but she would definitely not go over. I don't want to deal with locking clips so really want a seat I can latch at 39/40 lbs.

Is the Guide 65 very upright FF? I am expecting a lot of car and plane sleeping.

Also, is there any comfort issue with the Scenera Next and minimal padding for a long (9 hr) flight and many car trips? Is it an easy install on a plane? My other option is FF my 2.5 yr old in a Coccoro.

Trying to get my travel seats bought for an international trip on Thursday. I do have a Britax G4 Boulevard that I brought last time, but it was a nightmare on the first connecting flight that is a tiny plane. If I did bring the Boulevard, is it ok to gate check it for that first flight or is that too risky? I can never figure out what is allowed with gate checking.

Thank you!

ADS

lgenne

Where are you heading? Can you rely on vehicles having tether anchors? Is your oldest booster trained at all? (Coming back, I redid my math and see that she's 4.5, not 5.5. I'm not sure it changes what I would do.)

I wouldn't hesitate on the Scenera NEXT. It would be my choice hands down for a kid that age.

I don't think I would get a Guide for the older kid, though, especially if you can't rely on tether anchors. There are much more user friendly seats for a forward facer.

If you can't rely on tether anchors, I'd probably get a Tranzitions (30 lb minimum for booster) and do some booster training, assuming she's not super impulsive. If you CAN rely on tether anchors, I'd probably get a Maestro.

Dillipop

I'd probably get the sure ride for your older kiddo. Still lightweight but able to be used to 48 or 55 lbs with latch depending on when it was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

I'd probably get the sure ride for your older kiddo. Still lightweight but able to be used to 48 or 55 lbs with latch depending on when it was made.

The Sureride is a reasonable alternative to the Maestro if tether anchors will definitely be available. Not if they aren't.

Dillipop

The Sureride is a reasonable alternative to the Maestro if tether anchors will definitely be available. Not if they aren't.

Does the sure ride require tethers? And the maestro doesn't?

Because if neither one requires it, I'd personally prefer a non-tethered seat for a 4 year old over a booster. Neither is ideal but at least the child would definitely be restrained in the correct position in a 5 point harness.

Hazelandlucy

Where are you heading? Can you rely on vehicles having tether anchors? Is your oldest booster trained at all? (Coming back, I redid my math and see that she's 4.5, not 5.5. I'm not sure it changes what I would do.)

I wouldn't hesitate on the Scenera NEXT. It would be my choice hands down for a kid that age.

I don't think I would get a Guide for the older kid, though, especially if you can't rely on tether anchors. There are much more user friendly seats for a forward facer.

If you can't rely on tether anchors, I'd probably get a Tranzitions (30 lb minimum for booster) and do some booster training, assuming she's not super impulsive. If you CAN rely on tether anchors, I'd probably get a Maestro.

We are renting a car in England and they did say tether anchors would be on it, but I don't know how much they understood what I meant.

Is the Guide hard to install FF? Does the Tranzitions or Maestro have as much recline as a convertible?

Thank you!

lgenne

No. I suggested the Tranzitions if tether anchors won't be reliably available, because it can be used as a booster in that situation. A Maestro could do the same if she were over 40 pounds, but it has a 40 lb minimum for booster use.

Hazelandlucy

Do UK cars have mandatory tether anchors after a certain year or is it still hit and miss?

Safety 1st is telling me 51 lbs is the limit for latch? 65 lbs - 14 lbs seat weight .....for some reason I thought it was 40 lbs for that seat regardless?

Last edited:

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do UK cars have mandatory tether anchors after a certain year or is it still hit and miss?

Safety 1st is telling me 51 lbs is the limit for latch? 65 lbs - 14 lbs seat weight .....for some reason I thought it was 40 lbs for that seat regardless?

Yes, Safety 1st seems to limit the LATCH use to 40 lbs even though their seats are typically light enough that that shouldn't be necessary. They are the only company that seems to have just topped out at 40 lb lower anchor limits instead of going by the new rules. I am interested in the fact that they tell you something different when you call, though. It would make more sense for the limit to be 51 lbs, in my opinion. So if that's what they say I would just go with it. However, you might want to call again and ask once more to see if you get the same answer from somebody else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC