Help a convertible car seat noob, please!

RorysMommy

Hi all, This forum came highly recommended from a very respected friend of mine! I live in NYC and our daughter is only 10 months old, but already outgrown her infant seat (she's 91st percentile). We do NOT own our own car. We are traveling to Florida in a month so I need a convertible that a) Isn't horrible to lug through airport or in and out of a cab; b) Will last a while because I can't be buying another seat in a year since she obviously grows fast; c) easy to install either with seatbelt or LATCH for rear facing and ease of getting in and out of cabs; d) comfortable for taller children; e) Ideally would be nice if she can look out the window, but since I'm short and the one who drives in our family, I'm also worried about a car seat that's too high so this is less of a priority; and f) SAFE! Price is not too much of a concern if the seat will last us a long time! I'm completely overwhelmed with all the models. Thank you in advance!

ADS

Dillipop

I would suggest a Cosco scenera next in your situation. It's around $50, is super light, and rear faces to 40 lbs and 40 inches. From what I understand, it is easy to install with both latch and seatbelt.

With it being so inexpensive, when it is outgrown in a couple years, you should be able to get something that will work great for forward facing at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with Dillipop about the Scenera NEXT. I use the seatbelt to install it and it is quite easy -- especially for an older child like yours because you don't have to worry about it being reclined for a newborn.

It is basically useless FF, though, so you will need to purchase something else for the next stage. Use the NEXT until it is fully outgrown RF (40 lbs, 40", or top of the head even with the top of the shell), then consider a FF seat that will suit your needs. Right now, an IMMI Go would be a good seat for your situation (those are the foldable FF seats that Uber Family uses) when she outgrows the Scenera NEXT and is ready to move FF. Of course other good travel seats might be out by then too!

If you want something that will last even longer RF and work for FF as well, I would recommend the Graco Contender 65. It is also fairly easy to install with the seatbelt and it is taller than the Scenera NEXT. But it is usually between $100-140 rather than the <$50 for the NEXT. And it is heavier to lug around.

One final suggestion would be an Evenflo Sureride, which will RF for a long time AND FF for a long time AND is quite light AND can be found for under $100. It is bulky and can be difficult to install RF in some vehicles, though, which is why I prefer the NEXT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC