Flying with 2 Radian Diono's

U

Unregistered

I am flying with my 3 kids solo next week. I have a 4.5 and a 5yo. (and a 9yo). My youngest are both 41 inches tall and a little over 40 pounds. We have 2 Scenaras that the sitter has used in the past, but they really are too big for them now.

From what I can tell, the car rental companies cannot promise me seats that are okay for kids over 40 pounds. So it makes the most sense to take the ones we use in our cars at home that accomodate their height and weight. They've never sat in a booster and I would prefer not to even try that on this trip as we are traveling by car quite a bit once we arrive at our destination.

We have Radian Diono's that I can take, but getting them through the airport will be a nightmare alone. We are checking all of our suitcases, so other than getting to the car rental place after landing, the "strap onto suitcases" option would really do me no good. There's simply no way to get them through the airport alone with 3 kids. (who each will have their own backpacks & I will too).

So that leaves me with checking them (which is still going to be tricky upon arrival because the car rental place is offsite and we have to take a bus) and I keep reading how damaged they might be.

Anyone have suggestions? Tips for the safest bags to put them in that won't break the bank?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

I'd get a $20 folding luggage cart from Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. and make sure it has a bungee cord. Fold both Radians and put them on the luggage cart with the bungee cord. Wheel them through the airport like that, and then use them on the plane forward facing. They're super easy to install forward facing on a plane. Your kids can even use the tray.

Added bonus, you can probably get your nine year old's booster on that folding luggage cart somehow as well. Though at nine years old I'd have no problem with them carrying their own booster (that's what my older daughter did. She didn't pass the five step test consistently until 12 years old. http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm).

Wendy

krasota

Yep, and that folding luggage cart easily stows under the seat in front of you, with a bag on top of it, even! I flew with my daughter's Radian last fall. It was easier than the super lightweight Scenera I took on earlier flights because it's so narrow and rolls easily down the aisles of the larger jets.

Keeyamah

Thirding the luggage cart. Did it with one, and it doubled as a stroller for my youngest when I needed him contained and/or to move at a faster pace than he could walk. I used the bungee from the cart through the forward facing belt path to hold it on. If I had two and was folding them, I might try to weave it through the belt paths, maybe, if they wouldn't stay on with it just over them.

U

Unregistered

Fourthed. Small narrow luggage cart with bungees is the way to go. Toss them on the airline seats, and it takes 10 seconds each to buckle them. You may need belt extenders - on one airline we flew, the buckle ended up right in the middle of the back. The crew will give you belt extenders upon request - they have a bunch to accommodate larger passengers. I wold ask for them when boarding, and then give them back if you don;t need them - that way they won;t be going up and down the airplane getting them while other passengers are boarding.

Push one in front and pull one behind to get around through narrow places.

U

Unregistered

We're travelling with 2 Diono Radians as well on an upcoming trip. The folding luggage cart is a great idea. Would you be able to tell me which ones you used to haul two Diono Radians around at the airport? I took a look at several folding luggage carts this evening and the platform doesn't look big enough to carry two Diono Radians, even if they are both folded up. Thanks for any insights!

Dillipop

We're travelling with 2 Diono Radians as well on an upcoming trip. The folding luggage cart is a great idea. Would you be able to tell me which ones you used to haul two Diono Radians around at the airport? I took a look at several folding luggage carts this evening and the platform doesn't look big enough to carry two Diono Radians, even if they are both folded up. Thanks for any insights!

This one doesn't show a picture of it open but I'm pretty sure it's the same as what I have. https://www.walmart.com/ip/TravelKart-Metal-Luggage-Cart-Black/13029467

Open, it looks a lot like this. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CP66mMm1ptACFZBefgod4NQMhA

To get 2 radians on it, you'd probably want to leave one open and bungee it to the cart. Then put the other one, either folded or open, on top of it and bungee it on as well. Use the forward facing belt path and for extra security if open, use the rearfacing one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC