minivan shopping: Kia (?), Honda, Toyota

shb

We are looking for a new-to-us minivan; our budget is around 10k, although we could go a big higher if we find a great deal. (I've been searching for 15k or below.)

I like the safety ratings of the Odyssey and Sienna, and we've driven Toyotas for ~10 years now and love them. I noticed the safety ratings on the Sedona look good, too, so I am cautiously including that as well.

I would like a usable 8th seat if possible, so - if I understand correctly - that means I am looking for an '04-10 Sienna or an '11+ Odyssey. Right? Does the Sedona have an option for an 8th seat?

If I find a Sienna in that year range that has 7 seats, can we add an 8th if we can find one? Or did they have to come with 8 to start with?

Is there anything I need to know about any of these vans? Like one has transmission issues after a certain number of miles, or one is super easy to drive vs. another, or has really uncomfortable seats, or one doesn't have adequate tethers/anchors - stuff like that.

Thank you in advance!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Only factory equipped 8 seaters will do.

There were transmission issues in the Ody from 02-09 at least. The power doors also tend go at 500,000 on those. If going older than 11 I'd look for a Sienna.

The Sedona has an 8 seat option but it only started in the 15 model year.

jjordan

For safety ratings in pre-2011 vans, Sedonas are better than Odysseys and Siennas (but only 7 passenger). For pre-2011 and 8 passenger, Sienna is best, but can be hard to find. Good luck!

shb

I guess with the Sedona I am worried about longevity...I think it's reasonable to expect 200k miles out of the other 2 but I don't know much about Kias. Do they last long? Do they require maintenance outside the norm?

Because of our budget I think we will probably be older than 2011, if we want to buy something with less than 100k on it.

jjordan

Kia reliability improved significantly in 2006. We haven't had any troyble with our 2008 and it turned over 100k miles this past spring. We fully anticipate getting to 200k miles (although impossible to say for sure, of course). The much cheaper price compared to Honda and Toyota made it worth the gamble for us. We can pay for several significant repairs and still come out ahead.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In the 12 MY they introduced more nice features and you can also often get a good warrantee on one that age, which is why that's what we were looking around at until a 13 Ody with 7000 miles fell in our lap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC