Spica rec for 7 mo??

Neyir

Hey folks one of my twins gets a spica cast next week. Currently I have 3 across my middle row - 2 cybex atons and then a free seat for my 5ft 8yo. I have a peg perego viaggio in the back for the 4 yo. Apparently there is a seat that I can borrow for the spica guy but am wary of safety of the seat (age, wear etc) and fit.
Any ideas would be great! I saw a rec for a radian but not sure of the details. I would love to keep him in the middle row but know that might not be practical. We will need seats once the twins outgrow the infant cybexs and would love to buy something that would fit the current 3 across arrangement. I realise this is asking a lot!
Oh and he may end up in a helmet....I won't know until next week.
Latest stats which I will have updated later this week are; height 13lbs 1.5 oz, length 24.5 inches
Thanks for any help :)!

ADS

lgenne

How old is he? And what vehicle do you drive?

A Radian is almost certainly your best bet if you want to avoid a special needs seat. But Radians can be tricky in certain vehicles, or specific positions in vehicles. With more details, we can give more specific recommendations.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the Hippo is the seat you're being offered and they have a typical loaner program, it is not a bad idea to take it in my opinion. The Radian might or might not work but a Hippo almost certainly can be made to work.

Does your 8 year old pass the 5-step test?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd highly recommend the Hippo. Depending on the angle of casting, at that age, there may not be anything else to accommodate the casting.

I'd vet out the loaner program - ask if you can speak to the car seat/passenger safety people ahead of time - but chances are it may be the only thing that fits him.

Neyir

Thanks so much for all the advice! Cast goes on tomorrow! Some more info;

Car is 2012 Mercedes GL 450, babe is 7.5 months old and 16 lbs

My husband picked up the Hippo seat last night - it looks to be brand new. We will know more tomorrow once he has the cast on. We haven't had a chance to fit it in the car yet, bit apprehensive as it is so wide. We want the best fit we can get but also need to accommodate the other 3 kiddos and the now larger stroller as my spica guy will need the full stroller seat...

Dillipop

Thanks so much for all the advice! Cast goes on tomorrow! Some more info;

Car is 2012 Mercedes GL 450, babe is 7.5 months old and 16 lbs

My husband picked up the Hippo seat last night - it looks to be brand new. We will know more tomorrow once he has the cast on. We haven't had a chance to fit it in the car yet, bit apprehensive as it is so wide. We want the best fit we can get but also need to accommodate the other 3 kiddos and the now larger stroller as my spica guy will need the full stroller seat...

The hippo is a Classic Britax Marathon without the sides. As such, it should be super easy to install and should play decently with other seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC