Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Spica rec for 7 mo??

Hey folks one of my twins gets a spica cast next week. Currently I have 3 across my middle row - 2 cybex atons and then a free seat for my 5ft 8yo. I have a peg perego viaggio in the back for the 4 yo. Apparently there is a seat that I can borrow for the spica guy but am wary of safety of the seat (age, wear etc) and fit.
    Any ideas would be great! I saw a rec for a radian but not sure of the details. I would love to keep him in the middle row but know that might not be practical. We will need seats once the twins outgrow the infant cybexs and would love to buy something that would fit the current 3 across arrangement. I realise this is asking a lot!
    Oh and he may end up in a helmet....I won't know until next week.
    Latest stats which I will have updated later this week are; height 13lbs 1.5 oz, length 24.5 inches
    Thanks for any help !

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Spica rec for 7 mo??

How old is he? And what vehicle do you drive?

A Radian is almost certainly your best bet if you want to avoid a special needs seat. But Radians can be tricky in certain vehicles, or specific positions in vehicles. With more details, we can give more specific recommendations.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If the Hippo is the seat you're being offered and they have a typical loaner program, it is not a bad idea to take it in my opinion. The Radian might or might not work but a Hippo almost certainly can be made to work.

Does your 8 year old pass the 5-step test?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, arriving May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I'd highly recommend the Hippo. Depending on the angle of casting, at that age, there may not be anything else to accommodate the casting.

I'd vet out the loaner program - ask if you can speak to the car seat/passenger safety people ahead of time - but chances are it may be the only thing that fits him.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Thanks so much for all the advice! Cast goes on tomorrow! Some more info;

Car is 2012 Mercedes GL 450, babe is 7.5 months old and 16 lbs

My husband picked up the Hippo seat last night - it looks to be brand new. We will know more tomorrow once he has the cast on. We haven't had a chance to fit it in the car yet, bit apprehensive as it is so wide. We want the best fit we can get but also need to accommodate the other 3 kiddos and the now larger stroller as my spica guy will need the full stroller seat...

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neyir View Post
    Thanks so much for all the advice! Cast goes on tomorrow! Some more info;

Car is 2012 Mercedes GL 450, babe is 7.5 months old and 16 lbs

My husband picked up the Hippo seat last night - it looks to be brand new. We will know more tomorrow once he has the cast on. We haven't had a chance to fit it in the car yet, bit apprehensive as it is so wide. We want the best fit we can get but also need to accommodate the other 3 kiddos and the now larger stroller as my spica guy will need the full stroller seat...

The hippo is a Classic Britax Marathon without the sides. As such, it should be super easy to install and should play decently with other seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15