Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Study ties time shift, pedestrian deaths

With the "fall back" time change this weekend in many parts of the U.S. to end daylight saving time, this article's safety perspective and stats are particularly relevant:

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Fri Nov 2, 10:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON - After clocks are turned back this weekend, pedestrians walking during the evening rush hour are nearly three times more likely to be struck and killed by cars than before the time change, two scientists calculate. Ending daylight saving time translates into about 37 more U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the researchers report.

Their study of risk to pedestrians is preliminary but confirms previous findings of higher deaths after clocks are set back in fall.

It's not the darkness itself, but the adjustment to earlier nighttime that's the killer, said professors Paul Fischbeck and David Gerard, both of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
    For the entire article, you may click on: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071103/...ange_accidents

Walk, bike, and drive safe, everyone.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Study ties time shift, pedestrian deaths

Ah well...my clock says 10:26 but it is 11:26 to my body due to the artificial shift back in Spring. So yes, we are tired even though we got an "extra hour".

Not us! We were up and dressed and ready to leave the house by 8 this morning. before the time change we couldn't do that. It's the same every year, the spring time change causes a lot of problems for our family.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Us, too, Becky! Hayley was up, bright-eyed and happy, before 7 am! And Mondays are her "late start" school day, starts at 8:45 am instead of the usual 7:45 am. On the "average" day we get up at 6:45-7, on late start not until 7:45-8, but she was up at 6:45-7 because her body was telling her it was later. And last night she was sooo tired at 7:45 pm, LOL.

Back on topic, I heard this on the news last night, and it makes sense. When it gets darker earlier/when we change clocks back, we (at least I ) feel much more tired and lethargic in the evenings for awhile.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Frankly, I would rather be tired at the END of the day than at the BEGINNING. From March until time changes back in October we cannot do ANYTHING in the mornings.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley