Study ties time shift, pedestrian deaths

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
With the "fall back" time change this weekend in many parts of the U.S. to end daylight saving time, this article's safety perspective and stats are particularly relevant:

By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer Fri Nov 2, 10:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON - After clocks are turned back this weekend, pedestrians walking during the evening rush hour are nearly three times more likely to be struck and killed by cars than before the time change, two scientists calculate. Ending daylight saving time translates into about 37 more U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the researchers report.

Their study of risk to pedestrians is preliminary but confirms previous findings of higher deaths after clocks are set back in fall.

It's not the darkness itself, but the adjustment to earlier nighttime that's the killer, said professors Paul Fischbeck and David Gerard, both of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

For the entire article, you may click on: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071103/ap_on_sc/time_change_accidents

Walk, bike, and drive safe, everyone.

ADS

wondering1

Ah well...my clock says 10:26 but it is 11:26 to my body due to the artificial shift back in Spring. So yes, we are tired even though we got an "extra hour".

skaterbabs

Not us! We were up and dressed and ready to leave the house by 8 this morning. before the time change we couldn't do that. It's the same every year, the spring time change causes a lot of problems for our family.

scatterbunny

Us, too, Becky! Hayley was up, bright-eyed and happy, before 7 am! :eek: And Mondays are her "late start" school day, starts at 8:45 am instead of the usual 7:45 am. On the "average" day we get up at 6:45-7, on late start not until 7:45-8, but she was up at 6:45-7 because her body was telling her it was later. :p And last night she was sooo tired at 7:45 pm, LOL.

Back on topic, I heard this on the news last night, and it makes sense. When it gets darker earlier/when we change clocks back, we (at least I ) feel much more tired and lethargic in the evenings for awhile.

skaterbabs

Frankly, I would rather be tired at the END of the day than at the BEGINNING. From March until time changes back in October we cannot do ANYTHING in the mornings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC