Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: What to do??

Carseat Crazy

What to do??

I constantly see misused CRs and never know what to do. With close friends and family I remind them of how to properly use them, but with strangers I never know what to do. Just today I saw a little boy, no older than three, climb into a booster seat in the FRONT PASSENGER SEAT of his dad's car. Then his mom got into the back seat! Should I say something or should I let them figure it out on their own time? Please help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: What to do??

I would never say something to a stranger.

I am all about car seat safety but really, there are bigger concerns in life. Every day children are molested, abused, neglected, and even killed by their caregivers. Having a 3 year old in a booster, or an infant in an expired seat is small beans in comparison. A mother that is just struggling to keep her child from being killed by his father probably isn't thinking too much about car seats, KWIM?
    Allie, Mom to
    DS (1.6.2012) riding in a Frontier
    DD (2.2.2014) riding in a 4Ever & Boulevard

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

5. Thank You from:

I used to really struggle with the desire to say something. For example, when seeing a baby in an infant seat in a store with only the chest clip done, or with hard toys hanging, I just had to make myself think, they will fix it before they get in the car. Sadly, even with friends, a friendly comment is not always well received.

CPS Fanatic

Unless there is a clear opening, I don't. It makes us sad to see it though and results in my kids not being able to ride with most of their friends and that makes me even sadder.

What to do??

Just had to come on here to get this off my chest...I feel kind of sick to my stomach and I don't know if I should have done something different.

I just left the IKEA parking lot and the mom parked next to me was putting her baby in. I say "baby" because the child was whimpering in an i'm-not-yet-verbal kind of way, but when I saw her she could have been 2 years old, but definitely not 3 and probably closer to 18 months.

I was saddened to see the baby in a FF seat, but then I saw the mom pull the seatbelt over her and realized it was a booster. I probably looked like a stalker because I couldn't believe what I was seeing and was kind of stunned. The mom looked at me a couple times, but not in a friendly way, so I didn't say anything.

The seat was a Cybex booster. Probably one of the most expensive boosters out there, and yet completely misused.

I wish I had said something, but I would have literally had to go knock on her window and ask her to roll it down because she was already in the car when she buckled the little girl in. She probably would have written me off as a loon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)