What booster/no booster at flight destination?

Athena

We'll be flying this summer and driving a rental car at our destination. My kids have grown a lot since the last time we were in this situation so I'm looking for advice on what booster(s) to bring.

Kid1: 10yo, 5'2", 82 pounds
Kid2 8yo, 55-56", 62-63 pounds
Both are tall and slim.

Would you be confident Kid1 can go without a booster in a random rental car?

Although she rides in a HBB at home, I'm thinking some sort of backless booster for kid2 for the trip.

Opinions? Thank you!!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you are open to bringing whatever? I'd bring bubblebums for both, or a BubbleBum and an incognito (in your carryon or even packed luggage.) A kid that size is going to fit well in some cars and not in others most likely. And you never know what you'll get... I would go for easy to transport.

Athena

If you are open to bringing whatever? I'd bring bubblebums for both, or a BubbleBum and an incognito (in your carryon or even packed luggage.) A kid that size is going to fit well in some cars and not in others most likely. And you never know what you'll get... I would go for easy to transport.

Thank you for your response. I had thought that at 5'2" we wouldn't have to bring something. When can we? The trip is late summer, so she'll grow more before then.

Is it about when the bones will fuse or size? She's almost 2 years into puberty. How long until those bones fuse?

Kid 2 isn't sure about using the bubble bum that much (tends to be tippy and won't be riding wedged between people) and wants to bring the bottom of her HBB (2013 PKWY SGL). When we brought a backless turbo on a plane, it fit perfectly beneath the seat for storage on the flight. Anyone traveled with a PKWY bottom? (We also have a 2012 PKWY if that backless portion is better for travel/fit.)

Regardless of which booster, I have a question about using backless boosters in random cars. How does one know it will actually fit?

Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Honestly I'm 5'5" and there are some cars my belt fit isn't great in. I have a 5'1" child and she doesn't 5 step in our captain's chairs (she does in the center seat.) I have to evaluate cars she rides in on a case by case basis. Obviously build is going to play into it too but for the most part it is just that many back seat belts have a crappy design!

Usually a backless fixes issues in a random car just fine though there are a few cars that just suck too much.

If your child 5 steps in MOST cars you could go without and just be prepared to take the time to switch the car if the one provided doesn't work.

Athena

I'm hoping you can help me understand because I find this topic so confusing. I've seen people here say their kids 5 step by 57", sometimes sooner, while my kid hit 5' and stayed in a booster. The only thing I've been worried about for some time is lap belt fit and that's getting better. Even I, the mom who harnessed to 7 and reluctantly went backless at 8.75, well after others were out of their boosters, have been hoping to finally ditch the booster. Even I am starting to feel self conscious about keeping her in one at 5'2" and I wish she could ride with friends and not miss out on those experiences. But I want her to be safe. When would you feel comfortable going without? I know I'm getting off topic a bit, but this is the question at the heart of my question about whether to bring her a booster for the trip and something I'm really struggling with. I hope you can help. Thank you!

As for kid 2, any backless you'd avoid bringing because it's unlikely to fit or ones that usually fit? Do you think the PKWY is a safe bet?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I go without when a child consistently 5 steps in a wide variety of vehicles- basically all of them except those awful positions. We've tested kids for whom that happens at 4'7" and kids for whom it happens at 5'3"... Because all kids are built differently. For most kids it is 11-12, some earlier, a few later. Only some kids fit at 4'9"- I believe around half.

For a kid who is done growing and will never 5 step I want puberty well underway and a good lap belt fit and the maturity to sit well even if fit is annoying.

For kid 2 I wouldn't bring a TopSide or something really wide. I think the Parkway would work. It will count as that child's personal item or carryon since it can't be used on the plane, usually.

Athena

Thank you. I'm still a little confused. Is the age 11-12 just when they happen to fit and size is what determines it or does age matter? Continuing on her growth curve, she'll be above average height for an adult woman before she turns 11. I just looked and at 5'2", she's already the height of an average 13 year old! :eek::eek::eek: I really hope she doesn't outgrow the incognito before she 5 steps.

Unfortunately, we rarely have the opportunity to try them in other cars because they don't ride with friends who don't use boosters (i.e. everyone).

Thanks for the suggestions for kid 2. We have a top side I can try her in. You think that would be better than the PKWY? It seems/easier smaller to fly with.

Would you risk checking the incognito? Worst case, we could ask for a different rental car? It might fit in fine to carry on, but I was thinking just in case.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As I said- I would NOT bring a TopSide as it doesn't work well in a lot of cars. :)

11-12 is when most kids start to 5 step in most vehicles. Coincidentally (or not) there are changes in body shape for a lot of kids at that age- torso and legs lengthening in comparison to head proportionally changing the body shape.

For kids who will never 5 step age matters but for tall kids it is all about fit.

If I were to bring an incognito "just in case" since I wouldn't worry about damage, how worried I was about checking in a suitcase or bag would depend on how worried I was about it getting lost, which would depend on how likely the child was to need it.

If you think 5 stepping is over a 90% chance I'd skip it and ask for another car if needed. If 85%, bring the incognito but pack in checked luggage. If 60%? I'd carry it on and stow under the seat.

Athena

As I said- I would NOT bring a TopSide as it doesn't work well in a lot of cars. :)

oops, I totally misread that. :eek: Thank you for clarifying. Sounds like we'll be taking the PKWY bottom after all. :)

11-12 is when most kids start to 5 step in most vehicles. Coincidentally (or not) there are changes in body shape for a lot of kids at that age- torso and legs lengthening in comparison to head proportionally changing the body shape.

For kids who will never 5 step age matters but for tall kids it is all about fit.

So a 9-10 year old is unlikely to have the right body shape (therefore, unlikely to 5 step) even if she's the height of a 13-14 yo? But if she gets to the height the shoulder belt is too far out on her shoulder even in the incognito, then she'll have to go without a booster anyway, right? Let's hope it doesn't come to that! I do think she's close if not 5 stepping in our car. The only issue was the lap belt when I checked a couple inches ago. I need to check again asap!

If I were to bring an incognito "just in case" since I wouldn't worry about damage, how worried I was about checking in a suitcase or bag would depend on how worried I was about it getting lost, which would depend on how likely the child was to need it.

If you think 5 stepping is over a 90% chance I'd skip it and ask for another car if needed. If 85%, bring the incognito but pack in checked luggage. If 60%? I'd carry it on and stow under the seat.

I wish I had some idea, but she doesn't ride in other cars, so I have no idea the % she'd fit. If she fits in a new gen Forester (fairly big/deep seats, I think), any idea the odds she'll fit other cars (e.g. midsized rental). I'll test her tomorrow!

Thank you for all the help! I'm feeling less confused about this and really appreciate it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some tall 9 and 10 year olds will pass- especially in smaller seating positions.

It's just a lot more hit and miss if that makes sense?

I have no idea how the Forester compares, sorry. Can you ask a few neighbors if you can check out how she fits in their cars or something? That might give you a better idea.

Angela814

My oldest is 4'11" and 85 lbs, and she 5-steps in almost all vehicles now. She's getting close in the 3rd row center of our mini-van but still uses a harmony youth booster there. I'm at the point now where I would feel comfortable traveling without a booster for her, realizing I might have to re-arrange the other kids seats to give her a seat with a safe belt fit. In the past, she's brought a Harmony Youth booster and just carried it on the plane.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC