Is Disney transport safe? How get from airport?

bnsnyde

How does this work? If you fly into Orlando without carseats or boosters...is there a safe way to get from airport to hotel and around Disney?

I searched online and all I found was last month a fiery bus crash at Disney near Animal Kingdom when an SUV hit it head-on, sending 11 to the hospital. So if you have a baby on your lap and a bunch of little ones...well, scary.

I have read before that Disney is safe but then again, I need more details. What I read sounds freaky! I want to know that if there is a collision (since hey they happen), people are properly restrained. But it sounds like babies and kids just ride unrestrained because...buses and shuttles?

What do I need to know? If we stayed onsite with no car those are the questions I would have. Obviously if we rented a car we'd bring seats for 6 kids (well 5 as oldest won't need it for sure next year). But anyway I doubt most vans seat 8 anyway. I wonder if it is cost prohibitive for 8 people to stay onsite vs. staying off and renting a van.

ADS

jjordan

If you stay onsite, then you can have free motorcoach transport to/from the airport (MCO) by the "Magical Express." Transportation around Disney itself is free for anyone and is typical city buses (but operated by Disney). Both are considered very safe despite the lack of restraints. A family of 8 would need 2 hotel rooms to stay on site since the max in one room is, I think, 6 as per the occupancy code. (Although, kids under age 3 don't count toward occupancy.) Renting a large enough vehicle would be expensive but probably it would still end up being cheaper, and there are some nice family hotel/condo options for larger families if you're staying off-site. Ironically for such a family place, Disney is not so good at housing large families (for instance won't even guarantee adjoining/connecting rooms).

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Busses are very safe. Safer than driving your own vehicle around Orlando... Orlando drivers are nuts.

I'd look into renting DVC points for a 2BR suite - those should sleep 8. Then you can make Magical Express to the hotel & use Disney Transport. If you stay at Bay Lake, you can walk to Magic Kingdom & monorail to EPCOT, so it's just Animal Kingdom & Studios that you'd bus to. With a bunch of littles, I'd lay money that you'll be spending most of your time at MK anyways.

(Actually Grand Floridian or Poly would be the same; boat instead of walk. But they're going to be a whole lot more expensive.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC