Side by side installs?

rin2809

I am encountering a situation this week that we are hoping to fit 3 adults and 2 kiddos into my mom's outback. My mom, myself and my two kiddos are traveling out of town for a funeral, meeting my sister there, but hoping to only take one vehicle for local travel there.

The boys will be riding outboard for the 9.5 hour road trip, but I am thinking it will be easier to get an adult in the back if we put the seats side-by-side and leave one outboard seat for the adult. My plan was initially to use a Maestro for my 3 year old and bring my Apt 50 for my 6 month old, but I am beginning to change my thoughts as the Apt is super wide (and from input on another thread). Thinking maybe his Keyfit would be a better solution (he is 16.5lb and 27", so still fits with room to spare).

So, a couple questions specifically for the side-by-side:
1) Base or Baseless install for the Keyfit? I feel like baseless would give us a few more inches. I am planning to bring the base for the long travel and outboard installation, but will just store it at the hotel.
2) Which seat would you put center? I am planning seatbelt installs for both.
3) Can the seats touch? I know that I have read multiple times on the 3-across threads that each seat needs a solid install independently, but if I have that, is it OK that the handle of the infant seat touches the arm of the Maestro?

Unfortunately the Maestro (and the vehicle) are my parents' and they live out of town, so I won't have an opportunity to test things out until I am already there. Trying to get my ducks in a row as much as possible beforehand. Worst case we just take 2 vehicles everywhere we go, but not super ideal.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have an independent install they won't be pushing each other out of place. You will be able to pull a sheet of paper between them even if touching, usually.

Since the baseless Keyfit would typically be more difficult to install correctly I'd put that where it is easiest and the maestro in the other spot if they both install well both places. If it is the same, then whichever gives more room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC