Road Trip! Which seat would you bring?

rin2809

I am doing a 9 hour roadtrip from Minneapolis to St. Louis with my kiddos for a funeral and I am debating which seats I should use. I am driving half of it alone in my 2006 Kia Spectra, then meeting up with my Mom and taking her 2013 Subaru Outback.

This is the first trip that I am taking with my youngest since I stopped carrying him around in his infant seat. It is just so darn heavy. So now I am debating which seats I should use for both kids for the trip because of the length of the trip and lots of interstate driving, thinking about both comfort and safety.

My normal seat for DS2 (6 months, 16.5lb, 27") in my car is an APT 50, but I also have an Evenflo Triumph ProComfort in storage or the Keyfit that he still fits in from my Husband's vehicle. DS1 (3.5Y, 35lb, 43") rides in a Nautilus/Argos in our vehicles, but also has a Maestro that my parents own that we could use.

I am not concerned at all about the installs, since they will both be outboard and LATCH installed and I know all of these seats fit into both vehicles. What would you do? Am I remembering from the recent study that a convertible would be better than the infant seat? or was that for 1Y or older?

I know it probably isn't a big deal and all the seats used properly should be safe, just hyper sensitive about safety as the funeral we are going to was vehicle accident related.

ADS

MamaChirpy

I would probably use the Maestro that's already with your parents for the older son. And move the APT50 for your baby. It is lighter (I think) than the Triumph, right? And if your baby is already used to the APT50 I would be hesitant to put him in a new seat for such a long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What about using the Evenflo FF for your 3yo? More comfy for sleeping.

And I'd probably go Keyfit, but I worry less about the baby because he has less mass to mash down padding, lol

Kobain's Mommy

What about using the Evenflo FF for your 3yo? More comfy for sleeping.

And I'd probably go Keyfit, but I worry less about the baby because he has less mass to mash down padding, lol

I would go with that. Even though you said the Keyfit is heavy with baby things may come up while you are there that may happen during nap time. You can always leave it in the car unless baby falls asleep and you need to carry him in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC